Neck Sprain: Symptoms and Treatment
It refers to overstretched or torn ligament in the neck.
Each year, more than 2 million Americans experience neck sprain.
1. Caused by a force on the neck
2. Lab testing like X-ray, computed tomography or MRI might be needed
3. A physical exam might be conducted to check the motion of your neck
4. Can happen to both, men or women
Causes of neck sprain are muscle, joint or ligament related. Apart from them, muscle fatigue (poor sitting or sleeping posture), excessive load and high-speed injuries might be the reason for the sprain.
Common symptoms include:
1. Neck stiffness that limits the range of motion
2. Muscle spasms and pain in upper back and/or shoulders
3. Neck pain that increases with movement
4. Tinnitus and tenderness
5. Headaches at the base of the skull that radiate towards the forehead
Apply ice over the pain area at least four to five times a day. Heat therapy might also be recommended to increase blood flow and release stiffness
Non-steroidal ate-inflammatory drugs and other muscle relaxants may be prescribed by doctors.
Consult a doctor if the symptoms are evident and the condition worsens. At mfine, we provide accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plans for all health concerns under a team of qualified doctors.