General Surgeons: Doctors for General Surgery
Last updated on 19 August 2020
Who is a General Surgeon?
A general surgeon is a medical doctor who specializes in general surgery. General surgeons perform surgery related to the stomach, large intestine, small intestine, esophagus, pancreas, liver, appendix, bile ducts, gall bladder, hemorrhoids (piles), varicose veins etc.
Table of Contents
- When to Visit?
- Educational Qualification
- Finding a good General Surgeons
- Choosing the right General Surgeons
What does a General Surgeon do?
A general surgeon performs different types of general surgery. A few of the responsibilities of a general surgeon include:
- Pre and Post-Operative Care: General surgeons offer pre and post-operative care and advice. It is crucial for patients to manage their systems in the pre-operative state, take necessary medications, and consult a doctor if symptoms aggravate. Post-operative care advice is very important to make sure patients can manage their pain, recovery, take timely medications, and get back to normal life. General surgeons can provide correct guidelines to patients with several conditions, for instance, like appendicitis, which is painful and debilitating. If timely surgery is not done, the appendix may burst and even lead to death. Likewise, it is imperative to care for patients with gallbladder stones, which often go undiagnosed. In this case, a surgeon would be the best person to consult for a diagnosis, the need for surgery and post-treatment care.
- Piles/Hemorrhoids Surgery: Lifestyle, food habits, medicines, and many other factors lead to piles or hemorrhoids. It is a painful condition affecting the rectum. General surgery doctors suggest patients to undergo surgery for permanent piles removal and quick recovery. They also help patients understand the recovery period and scope of treatment.
- Appendix surgery: General surgeons provide pre and post-operative advice for appendix surgery. You can consult with a general surgeon online through MFine for appendix care. Instead of traveling to a clinic and waiting in line, consult a surgeon online on the MFine app. Through instant chat and video consultation, an online surgeon will be able to provide you with the best pre and post-operative advice for any appendix-related issues you may have.
- Hernia operation: General surgeons perform the surgery and provide pre and post operative care for hernia operations.
- Removal or biopsy of tumors, masses, and cysts: Need advice for any of these issues? Get in touch with a general surgeon online through MFine.
- Circumcisions: General surgeons provide advice for circumcision, post-operative care, and much more.
- Amputation (AKA, BKA): Amputation is very difficult. It takes immense care to recover from the pain and trauma. General surgeons offer preliminary advice and care guidelines to patients.
- Laparoscopy: Laparoscopy surgery is minimally invasive and the most sophisticated one of its kind.
- Gall bladder disease: General surgeons diagnose and perform surgeries like the removal of gall bladder stones along with providing consultations for other related diseases.
When should you go to the General Surgeon?
You would need to visit a general surgeon when there is a need for any kind of surgery related to the intestines, liver, appendix, gallbladder, etc. Before surgery is required, diagnosis and treatment are done by a general physician. However, when surgery is recommended, one is referred to a general surgeon for a detailed diagnosis and operation procedure.
What are the qualifications of a General Surgeon?
The educational qualification of a general surgeon includes a 5-years MBBS degree, followed by specialization in general surgery with a DNB or MS General Surgery qualification.
How to find a good General Surgeon?
You can find a good general surgeon through a simple search on MFine. Select your location and search for the best general surgeon near you on the MFine app or website. You can avail of an instant consultation via chat, call, or video call with the top general surgeons in your city. Based on your problem, you might be called for an in-person consultation by your general surgeon.
How to choose a General Surgeon?
You can choose a general surgeon for yourself based on the doctor’s years of experience. The convenience of travel might also be a criterion in case you need to visit your general surgeon in person for any procedure. In that case, choose the best general surgeon nearby on MFine and stay rest assured as we bring to you the top general surgeons from your city.
2021 General Surgeons
35791 cases done by General Surgeons
No General Surgeons available currently
List of 2021 Top General Surgeons in India
MBBS, MS (General Surgery)
MBBS, MS, FMAS, FICS (minimal invasive surgery)
MBBS, MS (Gen Surg), MCH (Minimal Access Surgery)
Frequently Asked Questions on General Surgeon Near Me
What are common diseases treated by a general surgeon?
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Ulcerative colitis
- Piles, etc.
- Varicose veins
Are general surgeons and general physicians the same?
While both general surgeons and physicians diagnose and treat general medical conditions, a surgeon can perform surgery and a physician can’t. A general physician provides treatment through medications.
Can a general surgeon perform surgery for cancer treatment?
A general surgeon can perform surgery for a cancer treatment only if the surgeon has a specialization in oncology too.
Does a general surgeon perform dental surgeries?
No, a general surgeon doesn’t perform dental surgery. Those are operated by a dentist or an oral surgeon.
Is a general surgeon a specialist?
Yes, a general surgeon is a specialist who is qualified to perform a broad spectrum of surgical procedures.
Top General Surgeon online across India
- General Surgeon in Bangalore
- General Surgeon in Kolkata
- General Surgeon in Hyderabad
- General Surgeon in Chennai
- General Surgeon in Mumbai
- General Surgeon in Chandigarh
- General Surgeon in Delhi
- General Surgeon in Jaipur
- General Surgeon in Vadodara
- General Surgeon in Ahmedabad
- General Surgeon in Noida
- General Surgeon in Kochi
- General Surgeon in Gurgaon
- General Surgeon in Indore
- General Surgeon in Coimbatore
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App