Book (LFT) Liver Function Test in Bangalore
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
Liver Function Test at Home - How it works?
What is Liver Function Test used for?
A liver function test is used for detecting the disorders or infections in the liver. However, the blood report can also be used for understanding the other abnormalities related to other organs such as the heart, lungs, bones, kidneys, and muscles.
What is included in a Liver Function Test?
The following enzymes and substances are analyzed in the blood. This test is conducted by a certified lab technician.
Bilirubin: When the red blood cells break down, bilirubin is made in our body which is yellow in colour. In a healthy person, when the bilirubin is made, processed by the liver, it is safely removed from the body through urine or stool. However, if the liver is not healthy, the processing of bilirubin becomes difficult as a result it starts to build up in the blood resulting in the yellow colour of eyes and skin.
Total protein test: Through the total protein test, the amount of albumin and globulin in the blood is measured. These are the two proteins that are made in the liver.
Albumin: This is made in the liver and it prevents fluid in the blood vessels from leaking out. This is known as oncotic plasma pressure. Edema is the condition where the excess fluid is flown out from the blood vessels into the tissues. Albumin also plays a role in carrying out different substances such as fatty acids, ions, bilirubin, etc throughout the body.
Globulins: These are a group of proteins that are spherical in shape that are larger than albums. Globulins are synthesized in the liver. There are different types of globulins that perform different functions such as blood clotting, immunoglobulins help in fighting against infections, and help in transporting hormones to different parts of the body
- Lipoproteins carry fats and cholesterol throughout the body.
- If the total protein in the liver is lower than normal, it may lead to conditions such as edema where the ankles and feet swell, ascites where the abdomen swell, and there will also be puffiness of the face.
- If the total protein in the liver is higher than normal, it could be cancer, HIV, inflammation, dehydration, or hepatitis.
- The ratio of albumin to globulin in a healthy person is between 1.0 to 2.1. If the ratio is less than 1, it indicates chronic liver disease, cancer, or kidney disease.
Liver Function Test Procedure
A liver function test is used for checking the levels of enzymes and proteins in our blood.
- It is recommended to fast for 8-10 hours before undertaking the test.
- The blood sample is collected from the vein by inserting a needle into it. The collected blood sample is stored in a test tube. This is then sent to the lab for further analysis.
- When the needle is inserted into the vein, you may feel a sting in your arm, however, the pain will reduce immediately.
- With the help of state-of-the-art technology, the blood sample will be analyzed by the lab technician.
- Once the analysis is completed, the blood test results will be available on the MFine app within the next 24-48 hours.
How to prepare for the Liver Function Test?
It is advised to fast for 8-10 hours before the test is conducted. It is also advisable not to consume alcohol for a few days before the test is conducted. Keeping your doctor informed about the medications is also important. All these are required in order to obtain accurate results.
Things to consider after the Liver Function Test is completed.
Once the test results are available, consult your doctor who would recommend treatment based on your test results. Please do not self diagnose your health condition.
What Type of Infections can a Liver Function Test Detect?
Through liver function tests, abnormalities related to the liver and other vital organs such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, bones, and muscles can be detected. Therefore, it is advised to consult your doctor to get treated for the underlying conditions. In particular infections like hepatitis lead to an increase in Liver enzymes detected by LFT.
How much does a Liver Function Test Cost?
The cost may vary from city to city. However, the starting price of the test is between ₹140 and ₹500. From the below table, you can book the liver function test:
|Book Liver Function Test in Bangalore||₹ 208|
|Book Liver Function Test in Delhi||₹ 142|
|Book Liver Function Test in Kolkata||₹ 423|
|Book Liver Function Test in Chennai||₹ 423|
|Book Liver Function Test in Mumbai||₹ 499|
|Book Liver Function Test in Hyderabad||₹ 423|
|Book Liver Function Test in Noida||₹ 142|
|Book Liver Function Test in Gurgaon||₹ 142|
|Book Liver Function Test in Pune||₹ 423|
How long does it take to get LFT Results?
Once the blood samples are dropped at the labs, the test results will be available on the MFine app for download within the next 24-48 hours.
Is Liver Function a Definitive Test?
An LFT is used for detecting abnormalities related to the liver along with the other organs such as the heart, kidney, lungs, muscles, bones, etc. It is not a definitive test. Therefore, it is advised to visit your doctor to understand the problem and get it diagnosed at the earliest.
How to read the Liver Function Blood Test Report?
|Liver Function Profile, Serum||Biological reference in healthy individuals (Normal value)||Units|
|Gamma Glutamyl transferase||0-50||U/L|
Why you should book a Liver Function Test?
- For routine health check up
- To detect any liver diseases such as jaundice, alcoholic hepatitis, autoimmune hepatitis, viral hepatitis etc.
- To screen for any existing liver disease, or any medicines that are causing harm to the body and evaluate the efficacy of the treatment for the same