Toe Web Intertrigo- Here is all you need to know
Toe cleft intertrigo refers to the inflammatory skin condition in between the toes. It is aggravated by heat, moisture, friction and lack of air circulation. Though it is not a serious condition, it is difficult to cure.
- Spreads easily
- Treatable by medical professionals
- Diagnostic tests are rarely required
- Short-term: usually resolves in a few weeks
People at risk of developing this condition:
- Obese individuals
- People with excessive sweating
- People with immune deficiency conditions such as HIV
- People with diabetes
- People who visit public places barefoot like swimming pools, toilets, and showers
- People who wear covered or tight fitting shoes.
This condition can affect people of any age.
The symptoms are usually self-diagnosable in the case of toe cleft intertrigo and they are:
- Itching, stinging and burning between the toes
- Cracking and peeling of skin
- Toenails pull away from the nail bed.
These self-care measures can help deal with toe cleft intertrigo effectively:
- Soak your feet in warm water
- Clean the affected area and dab tea tree oil on it
- Avoid ill-fitting shoes
- Control your diabetes
The doctors may prescribe topical or oral prescriptions such as antifungal medications to clear up the toe cleft intertrigo infection. In severe cases of pus drainage, or toenail damage, the toenail might need to be removed and pus might have to be drained out completely through an outpatient procedure.
It is advised to meet a dermatologist for appropriate treatment for toe cleft intertrigo. Get on board with us at mfine for an integrated treatment plan for all your health issues and get an expert team to work with you on your health.