Acne: A Common Skin Problem In Adults
Acne is inflammation caused on the surface of the skin when hair follicles get clogged with dead skin or excess oil from the skin. It occurs primarily during puberty.
More than 50%of the women in their 20’s and around 35% of women in their 30’s are estimated to suffer from acne.
- Eighth most common skin disease
- Occurs more frequently in women than in men
- Lab tests and imaging are not required
- May be acute or chronic depending on the skin type
Acne can break out on the skin for several reasons. Some of them are:
- An imbalance in hormone levels. In women, hormonal fluctuations around the time of periods lead to acne.
- Bacteria like propionibacterium acnes may cause acne. Keeping your skin clean is the first step towards preventing acne.
Most adult acne is identified with characteristics like:
- deep cysts
Acne can be treated by home remedies and by doctor prescribed medicines. Treatment varies from person to person. Over-the-counter remedies may work quickly for some, while others may need medicines prescribed by a doctor
It is best to choose medications based on your skin type. Medicines like corticosteroids, antidepressants and epilepsy treatments are prescribed by doctors. A doctor can help you choose suitable medication including certain formulated medications.
You should get help from a dermatologist if your acne is painful and spreads rapidly.
At mfine, you can choose from a wide range of dermatologists with good experience in treating a variety of skin conditions. Our app will connect you to the doctor in 60 seconds.