Colon Cancer- Beware of this life-threatening disease
Colon cancer is a type of cancer that affects the colon or rectum, which is located at the digestive tractâ€™s lower end.
Approximately, 8.3% of the deaths in the United States are because of Colon Cancer.(1)
The exact cause for this type of cancer is not yet known, but there are certain risk factors that might increase the chances of developing this condition:
- Age, it usually develops after the age of 50
- Family history
- Personal history of having ulcerative colitis for more than 8 years
- Colorectal polyps
- History of breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer
Colon Cancer is
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Laboratory tests or imaging are always required
- Common in both men and women
- Can be completely cured, if detected early
The most common symptoms are as follows:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Change in bowel habits
- Blood in the stool
- Passing excessive amounts of gas
- Anemia or fatigue
- Abdominal discomfort
- Weight loss
Self-care: Some of the preventive measures to avoid this condition can be by maintaining a healthy weight, exercising, consuming ample amount of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition, people should decrease the amount of saturated fat and red meat intake, and limit alcohol consumption and give-up smoking.
Medication: The treatment of this condition is completely dependant upon the type and stage of cancer, age, and health status of the patient. There is no one method to cure this condition. Some of the ways is a surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. After chemotherapy, chemotherapy protective drugs can also be given to reduce the side effects of the treatment.
Specialists: Do consult an oncologist, if the symptoms seem to be similar. mfine can provide with necessary information about medical conditions. However, you can also come on board for a holistic treatment.