Status Migrainosus Severe headache for few days
Migraine with aura refers to a severe headache which is experienced after or along with a sensory disturbance known as aura. The sensory disturbances include flashes of light, blind spots and tingling in the hands and face. Status Migrainosus lasts for more than 72 hours and often requires hospitalization to relieve pain and other symptoms.
The prevalence of migraine is between 16 to 32% among women and barely 12% in men. 
- More prevalent in women than men
- Lab tests and Imaging tests are required
- Symptoms can last up to 72 hours
- Acute migraine attack which lasts up to 72 hours
Ages affected: The median age of onset for a migraine with aura is usually 25 years.
Migraines are usually caused by an imbalance in the brain chemical called serotonin and genetic factors also predispose one at a higher risk of developing migraines.
The common symptoms experienced in status migrainosus includes:
- Severe headache especially on one side
- Throbbing ache which can continue up to 72 hours
- Pain worsens with normal physical activity like walking
- Photophobia and Phonophobia (sensitivity to light and sound)
You can soothe migraine with aura symptoms by adopting the following self-care measures:
- Relax in a dark room when you get an attack
- Eat a well-balanced meal and get adequate sleep
- Exercise regularly
Usually, these techniques cannot help much with Status Migranosus and require immediate medical attention to resolve the symptoms.
In most cases of Status Migrainosus, admission to the emergency room is important. The usual treatments administered are:
- IVF intravenous fluids to control nausea and vomiting
- Medications used to alleviate migraine symptoms like triptans, intravenous NSAID, and dopamine blockers
- In severe cases steroids are also administered like dexamethasone
A consultation with a neurologist will help you get effective treatment for Status Migrainosus. We at mfine help you get an integrated treatment plan for all health issues under one roof from the experts.