Acute gastritis with bleeding: Causes And Treatment
Acute gastritis with bleeding refers to the sudden inflammation of the lining of the stomach with upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
Acute gastritis with bleeding affects adults mostly, especially middle-aged and older adults between the ages of 40-65 years.
- Causes for Acute gastritis with bleeding are injuries to the stomach, bacterial/viral infections , NSAIDs or corticosteroids, allergies, and alcohol consumption.
- The pain is sudden in acute gastritis and lasts for a short time usually. However, symptoms shouldn’t be ignored.
The causes for acute gastritis vary from bacteria, viruses, an allergic reaction, over use of anti-inflammatory drugs and so on. The pain of gastritis depends on the severity of the infection.
- While some people don’t show any symptoms, others do. Common symptoms of acute gastritis with bleeding include:
- Sharp pain in the stomach during or after meals
- Recurring nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling of indigestion
- Urgent medical attention is required if traces of blood are found in stool or vomit.
- Diagnosis for acute gastritis with bleeding is done using blood and stool tests. Liver and kidney function tests, endoscopy, upper GI series tests, etc are also done in some cases.
Symptoms of acute gastritis with bleeding can be relieved with proper diet, lifestyle changes and medications recommended by doctors. Self-care for acute gastritis with bleeding includes:
- Eat a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables, especially ones rich in vitamin B12
- Avoid acidic, hot and spicy food items
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Avoid triggers that worsen gastritis
Treatment options for acute gastritis with bleeding involve:
Antacids as recommended by the doctor
In acute cases or chronic cases, it is recommended to consult a doctor for managing the condition and coming up with the right treatment plan.
At mfine, you can find the right expert for your health problem and work towards improving your health in a holistic manner.