Almost everyone experiences hives: learn about the risks here
Urticaria, commonly known as hives, is characterized by raised welts or bumps on the skin in different variations. According to the Association of Allergists and Immunologists of Québec, 1 in 5 people will experience some form of hives at some point in their lives.
- Happens as a result of a body’s allergic reaction
- Very common condition
- Heat and sun exposure make symptoms worse
There is a plethora of stimulants that trigger hives. Common triggers are certain foods (especially peanuts, eggs, nuts, and shellfish), insect stings, or bites.
Ages Affected - All ages are susceptible.
Usually self-diagnosable. Mild to severe patches of pink and red bumps, with white middles, on the skin. The bumps are usually itchy and uncomfortable.
Most people experience:
- Raised itchy bumps, either red or skin-colored
- Blanching (when pressed, the center of a red hive turns white)
- Swelling (if swelling occurs in the throat, contact emergency services immediately) Treatments The best way to deal with hives is to identify and avoid the triggers.
- Don’t scratch or touch (directly) the affected areas.
- Keep the affected areas cool and away from sunlight.
Take only on doctor’s prescription.
If the problem is recurrent and you struggle to identify the trigger, seeing an allergist for testing is recommended. This is the best way to identify all triggers and manage the condition. If severe allergies are diagnosed, there are various prevention and treatment methods available through an allergy specialist. At mfine, we encourage you to take your health seriously and see a specialist if the problem persists. We value your health, and our holistic health program has been designed specifically to serve your health care needs.
1st Consultation Free
Top Doctors in Dermatologist for Urticaria
Dr. D. Indira
MD, DVL - Dermatology (PGIMER, Chandigarh)
MD, DVL - Dermatology (PGIMER, Chandigarh)Dermatologist
25+ years exp
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues
MBBS, MD - Dermatology
MBBS, MD - DermatologyDermatologist
25+ years exp
Dr. Nagalakshmi N
MBBS, DDVL, Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology
MBBS, DDVL, Fellowship in Pediatric DermatologyDermatologist
18+ years exp
Other Medical Conditions