What is ectopic rhythm?
An ectopic rhythm is an irregular heart rhythm due to a premature heartbeat. It is extra heartbeats which occur before a regular heartbeat. Ectopic rhythm is also known as premature atrial contraction, premature ventricular contraction, and extrasystole.
Ectopic beats have been described in 1% of clinically normal people. 
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Lab tests or imaging often required
- Treatable by a medical professional
Cause of ectopic rhythm is often unknown but some factors can aggravate it such as caffeine, smoking, some prescription medications, alcohol, stimulants, high levels of adrenaline, usually due to stress, and exercise.
- May feel like heart is fluttering
- Pounding in heart
- Heart skipped a beat or stopped briefly
- Feeling faint or dizzy
- Hyper aware of heartbeat
- Racing heartbeat
- People can prevent ectopic heartbeats through lifestyle changes. Often, this will involve finding what triggers them. Triggers can include stress, smoking, or alcohol.
- Reducing caffeine and exercising regularly can also help.
Medication: Doctor may prescribe medication to treat the underlying cause of the condition. If you have had a heart attack or heart failure in the past, your doctor may prescribe beta-blockers.
Specialist: If you have heart disease, the specialist may suggest angioplasty or bypass surgery. At mfine, we always provide the best treatment so that you can get a better body as soon as possible.