What is Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)?
ICD is a device placed in the chest to reduce the risk of dying in case of the ventricles (the lower chambers of the heart) stop beating effectively. People who have a dangerously fast heartbeat or chaotic heartbeat that hinders the heart from supplying enough blood to the rest of the body might need an ICD. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator continuously monitors heartbeats and stops abnormal heartbeats.
When is ICD recommended?
People who have experienced ventricular tachycardia, a cardiac arrest, or fainted from a ventricular arrhythmia might need an ICD. The following can also be the reasons for a patient requiring an ICD.
● Patient with a heart condition that involves abnormal heart muscle such as thickened and enlarged muscle.
● Having inherited heart defect that makes the heart beat erratically.
● History of coronary artery disease and heart attack that has weakened the heart.
Preparing for ICD treatment
The doctor is likely to perform the following tests to determine whether the patient requires ICD.
Echocardiography: This test allows the doctor to see the patient's heart with the use of harmless sound waves.
Electrocardiography (ECG): In this test, sensor pads are placed on the chest to measure the heart's electrical impulses.
Event recorder: The doctor might recommend the patient to wear a device that monitors the heart's activity for 24 hours.
Other than that, the doctor might ask you not to eat or drink for 8 hours before surgery. Consult the doctor about the medication you have been taking and whether it can affect the procedure.
Understanding ICD results
ICD is helpful for patients who have had a cardiac arrest. But after the procedure, patients need to take certain precautions so that the device works properly such as:
● Refrain from normal activities such as exercise and work after the patient recovers from the surgery.
● Keep cell phone at least 6 inches away from the ICD site when the phone is turned on.
Contact mfine to get profound treatment, so that you can get a healthy body in a short period of time.