Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹349 ₹599
Non Ulcer Dyspepsia
All You Need To Know About Dyspepsia
Dyspepsia is defined as the persistent or recurrent pain and discomfort in upper regions of the abdomen.
Prevalence of dyspepsia is about 20-30% worldwide. 
-Requires a medical diagnosis
-It is self-treatable and may require medical intervention if the symptom is persistent
-It is short-term and usually resolves within a few days or a few weeks
Dyspepsia may be caused due to an eating habit or a chronic digestive problem like Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) or Gallbladder disease.
Common symptoms include:
- Stomach pain or bloating
- Belching and gas
- Acidic Taste
- Growling stomach
- Feeling full after every meal
Severe disease may be characterized due to symptoms like:
- Severe vomiting
- Vomit that contains blood
- Unexplained weight loss
- Black stool
- Trouble while swallowing a food item
Self-Care: It is largely prevented due to dietary and lifestyle changes which include:
- Eating a smaller meal and eating slowly
- Avoiding spicy or fatty food that may trigger heartburn
- Reducing consumption of Coffee, Alcohol, Tobacco and reducing smoking.
- Exercising, weight loss and maintaining an active lifestyle may prevent indigestion.
Medication: Indigestion is more of a symptom than a full-fledged disease. Therefore, the treatment involves addressing the underlying causes.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) antacids may help to neutralize stomach acid
- H2 Receptor Antagonists(H2RA) reduce stomach acid, but dosage should be monitored as they may cause side effects
- Prokinetic medications help improve muscle action of the digestive tract
- Proton Pump Inhibitors may reduce stomach acid but are even stronger than H2RAs
Specialists: Dyspepsia is a very common disorder and can be effectively treated by having proper food and rest. In case of persistent symptoms, medical intervention should be sought. Our team of doctors at mfine provide a holistic approach to healthcare and overall well being, for all your medical issues.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App