10 best children books of all time your child will love
Fact-checked by MFine | Last Updated : August 3rd, 2021
Ready to transform your child into an unapologetic bookworm? Here’s a list of the best children’s books that are sure to make your child’s reading a truly enjoyable process!
Few things can spark imagination and creativity in your child as a good book can. With all the options for entertainment children have today, reading books might often take a backseat. However, it’s important that you inculcate the habit of reading early on in your child as this is a habit they will soon treasure all their life. Encouraging your child to read is one of the best activities to stimulate brain development in children. Some of the best books can open up a whole new world of wonder for your child, filled with magical creatures and distant places. Here is a reading list of the best children books of all time that your child will love.
Best Children Books for Girls and BoysReading books is a wonderful life skill for children and will help them all through their life. Here are a few literary favourites that will appeal to both boys and girls.
1. A Series of Unfortunate EventsThis book doesn’t go down the usual route most children books do but this is exactly why children around the world love it. Lemony Snicket’s collection of 13 books will keep your child thirsty for more. The book’s main protagonists are the Baudelaire children, orphans with a propensity to fall into adventures that keep us equal parts intrigued and amused. The first book is about how the children lose their parents in an accident and the unexpected tragedies that keep piling on. Children love the twists and turns and the thrill of not knowing what to expect. Both you and your child will soon be drawn into its dark humour and unfortunate events!
2. Diary of a Wimpy KidThese books by Jeff Kinney have taken the world of kiddie literature by storm and turned many children into passionate readers. The true-to-life misadventures are written in the form of diary entries by the main character, Greg Heffley. The story revolves around the clumsy bravado of Greg who dreams big in spite of his laziness and a school questionnaire that says he will end up a clerk. The crazy kid Fregley who lives across the street and Rowley, Greg’s side-kick along with a motley set of characters will keep your child immersed in this satirical yet realistic novel for children and young teenagers. These books are also perfect for young children who are still new to reading books as they have a number of funny illustrations that will keep them glued to every page. The quirky format might even inspire your child to start keeping a journal of their own, something that encourages creativity in children.
3. The Last Kids On EarthIn this book by Max Brailler, thirteen year old Jack and his friends are the last humans around, as far as they know, after a monster apocalypse. They are holed up in their tree house with an endless supply of Oreos, Mountain Dew and video games, and protected by catapults and a moat. They are now fully armed to fight against the monsters and be average kids no more. This book will soon be a star on all best children books lists!
4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the WardrobeThis story is a classic fantasy series by C.S. Lewis and has cemented its position in all lists of the best children books of all time. Four children find their way into the magical world of Narnia through a seemingly ordinary wardrobe. They are plunged into a never-ending war between good and evil. Betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships make up the smaller battles of the heart which are just as important. If your children have watched and loved the ‘Chronicles of Narnia’ movies, then they are certain to love the original books that they were based on.
5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s StoneAny best children books list will be incomplete without J.K. Rowling. Many children might have seen the movies but the books allow the imagination to soar free. If your child is 8 or over, they are ready for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. It is the first book in an enduring legacy that will live on. The book revolves around Harry Potter, an orphan who finds out he is a wizard. Your child will love following Harry Potter and his trusty friends Ron and Hermione through their many exciting escapades in the world of magic.
Best Children Books for GirlsTraditionally there have been too many literary gender stereotypes that allow the men to slay the dragons and rescue the princess. The good news is that female heroines are now clever, independent and feisty too. Here are a few of the best children books for girls that have strong and inspirational female characters.
1. The Gutsy GirlThis is a story of adventure written by scaredy-cat turned adventurer, Caroline Paul. Through her stories, she encourages girls to conquer their fears and pursue the life they want, confidently. She writes about all the adventures life has taken her through as well as other illustrious women throughout history. Do you want your daughter to dream about flying a plane, rafting through a river or climbing a mountain? Then this one is for you.
2. Pippi LongstockingShe is the original non-conformist who does what she wants but is the epitome of kindness. Pippi always finds her way to every best children books list. She is stronger than any man and has a great time showing it off. The series was especially unusual for its time since many children books around that period had conventional heroines who were sweet and mild-mannered. She certainly didn’t need rescuing but was quite willing to jump in when needed. Her trademark funny hairstyle and striped stockings will soon find their way into your daughter’s heart.
3. Mayil Will Not Be QuietMeet Mayil and her amma, appa, brother, grandfather and friends. She is a typical adolescent with all the confusion, dilemma and inherent confidence of young people growing up in India today. This a must-read coming-of-age book that faces topics like gender stereotyping , bullying and family dynamics head-on. There are numerous Indian writers who are able to connect young readers with the unique Indian ethos. This book is among the best children books in India, and a good one to start your child’s journey on.
4. MatildaRoald Dahl is a legend when it comes to books written for children but loved by readers of all ages. Matilda is a fiercely intelligent modern-day heroine who finds a hidden power within herself that she uses to fight those who push her down. This funny and quiet little girl shows how she can channel her inner self to make a difference. Children often find themselves helpless in situations beyond their control and this is probably why they love Matilda.
5. Rosie Revere, EngineerThis heroine who loves math and inventions is all ready to push those giggly princesses off their popularity shelf. This book will particularly resonate in India where little girls are now looking at defining their own success. The authors, Andrea Beaty and David Roberts make this a worthy entry into any best children book list. Rosie is a colourful character who makes it a life lesson that without failure there can be no success and giving up is just not an option. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find your child curled up and lost in their own world soon! Don’t forget to download the mfine app and consult your city’s top paediatricians if your child ever falls sick or feels unwell.
Consult our Pediatricians
Dr. Adarsh Bagali
6+ years exp
Dr. Sireesh V
14+ years exp
Dr. Sreepriya L
27+ years exp
Dr. Seetharam K
39+ years exp
Instant Chat &