Easy and delicious Indian baby food recipes for 8 month olds
Fact-checked by MFine | Last Updated : November 6th, 2019
Wondering how to feed your 8-month-old baby with the most nutritious food for him/her? Read on to know more about the perfect recipes for your baby's food!
The task of feeding your baby can be a big challenge for parents, especially after solid food has been introduced in their diet. This is a very interesting stage of growth as your bundle of joy is trying to hold food by themselves and chew it with their gums. This is also the age when your little son or daughter starts crawling and exploring their new-found freedom to the maximum. This enhanced level of physical activity will also increase their appetite, making this the right period to explore some interesting 8-month baby food recipes Also read The Ultimate Indian Baby Food Chart for 0-12 Month Olds.
The best foods for your eight month oldIt is necessary to keep in mind that while your baby might be consuming a significant amount of solid food, that does not lessen the importance of breast milk, which still remains the primary source of nutrition. While an eight-month-old baby will have started using their preliminary motor skills, they are also trying new things like trying to grip items between their thumb and forefinger. At this stage, the baby’s diet will gradually shift towards solids from milk. The best foods for an 8-month-old baby include baby cereal, fruits and vegetables along with mashed or pureed non-vegetarian items. In general, a healthy eight-month-old baby needs three solid meals per day along with two small snacks. If you're wondering what schedule to follow and what recipes to include, you can explore our complete baby food chart.
Preparing an 8 month old baby food menuWhile preparing the best baby food recipes for 8 month olds, be sure to keep the following points in mind.
- Every child comes with a different appetite and hence the food intake of different babies cannot be compared. If you feel your baby is not eating enough, you can include high-calorie foods for baby weight gain in their diet.
- With new items to explore around every corner, your baby is easily distracted from their food. It is best not to force-feed and keep an eye out for the signs of hunger. A healthy baby will consume the right amount of food that he or she needs.
- Every item in the 8 month baby food menu needs to be well cooked and soft. Cook the food a little longer or cut it up into smaller pieces to prevent choking.
- To improve their chewing and grasping skills, introduce single ingredient semi-solid items in your food ideas for an 8-month-old baby. Be cautious not to leave your baby unattended with food though; even the most finely chopped food can cause choking.
- It is best to keep introducing new food items after fixed intervals but honey and cow’s milk should not be introduced before your baby crosses the one year mark. At this stage, it's best to explore other calcium-rich foods for children. Nuts, whole grapes, raisins and butter chunks should also be avoided as they pose a choking hazard. Avoid using sugar and salt in large quantities – your baby should not consume more than a gram of salt per day.
- You can introduce your baby to spices at this stage. Small quantities of cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, turmeric and nutmeg can be used to bring in more variety in the recipes. Make sure you do not use more than a pinch.
Baby food recipes for 8 month oldsBaby food recipes for 8-month-olds are also termed as stage-two baby food as they are thicker and have more texture. Let us take a look at some of the best food items that you can prepare for an 8-month-old.
Fruit recipesFruits form a major part of the best foods for an 8-month-old baby. Apart from bananas, apples, papayas and mangoes, you can introduce your baby to kiwis, strawberry and pomegranate. The soft fruits cut into small and long cubes can be a very good choice as finger-foods.
- 100 grams of apple.
- 100 grams of papaya.
- 100 grams of melon.
- A cup of water.
- Boil the water in the saucepan and put the fruit pieces in it.
- Stir continuously in a medium flame till a puree is formed.
- Allow it to cool and then serve.
Protein recipesThe eight-month mark is the right time to introduce your baby to protein in the form of meat and fish. Tender and boneless pieces of chicken or fish, either boiled or roasted are among the best foods for an 8-month-old baby. The Omega-3 fatty acids in the fish along with the protein makes it an excellent choice for babies. There are many ways to include fish in your 8 month old baby food menu.
- 100 grams of boneless chicken or fish.
- A cup of water
- One teaspoon of butter or olive oil.
- Boil the fish or chicken in water until soft.
- Stir continuously over a medium flame until a puree is formed
- Add butter or olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Serve while warm.
- 100 grams of sweet potatoes/carrots.
- 200 grams of fresh spinach.
- A pinch of cardamom/cinnamon.
- Boil the water in the saucepan and put the vegetable pieces in it.
- Allow the vegetables to boil until they are soft.
- Add the cardamom powder and stir till a puree is formed.
- Serve while warm.
- 100 grams of rice or oats.
- 100 grams of yoghurt.
- 100 grams of minced apple or banana.
- Boil the water in the saucepan and put the rice powder in it.
- Keep whisking for 10 minutes while the mixture simmers.
- Add the fruit pieces and allow them to boil.
- Add the yoghurt and mix into a thick puree.
- Serve while warm.
Consult our Pediatricians
Dr. Darshith S L
5+ years exp
Dr. Siddu B N
6+ years exp
Dr. Darshan Rajatadri
5+ years exp
Dr. Manaklal Ratanchand
47+ years exp
Instant Chat &