Book Lipid Profile Test in Kolkata
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
What is lipid profile test used for?
A lipid profile test is used to measure a few components in the blood like cholesterol, triglycerides, and high-density lipoproteins (HDLs). Cholesterol is a substance produced in our body and absorbed from some food. It helps us digest, strengthens our cells, and aids in the production of hormones. Triglyceride is another substance that provides energy for our body when required. High-density lipoproteins are good for our bodies because they transport cholesterol and triglycerides from different parts of the body total liver for energy production. They are also known as HDLs, which is short for high-density lipoprotein.
High levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides can clog our blood vessels, leading to high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases. High-density lipoproteins are able to clear bad cholesterol from our blood vessels to a certain extent. In a diabetic patient, lipid levels may fluctuate significantly, especially in those who have type 2 diabetes.
If your cholesterol levels are high, then you are more likely to have heart problems. In short, a lipid Profile test measures the amount of LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides; HDL (good) cholesterol; and low-density lipoprotein (LDL)in the blood and total cholesterol.
What is included in a lipid profile test?
A lipid profile test is done in the morning. Lab specialists will draw blood from your vein to study the levels of lipids in your body. The results of this lipid profile test will warn you of cardiovascular diseases if any.
A lipid profile test includes the following tests:
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) – “good cholesterol”.
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) – “bad cholesterol”.
- LDL/HDL Ratio (calculated values).
- Very low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (VLDL-C).
The low-risk lipid range has bad cholesterol in levels below 100 mg/dl, good cholesterol above 40 mg/dl (above 50 for women), and triglycerides below 150 mg/dl.
What sample is required for the lipid profile test?
A fasting blood specimen is used for the lipid profile test.
Lipid Profile Test Procedure:
A lipid profile test can be taken at any time. But if you are pregnant or if you have undergone a major or minor surgery you may have to wait at least 2-3 months to check the performance of your cholesterol levels.
- A lipid profile test requires an overnight fast of 8-12 hours.
- During the blood test, the blood sample is withdrawn from the patient and the sample is sent to our accredited labs of your choice (made during the booking) for further processing.
- A certified Lab Technician (LT) will analyze your blood sample using state of the art technology.
- Your blood report will be updated on the MFine app within the next 24 – 48 hours after blood sample collection.
How to prepare for the lipid profile test?
Before the Test
During the Test
|You need to fast for 8-12 hours to get accurate results before the lipid test. However, you are allowed to drink water. Few precautions are also needed before the test:
||No preparation is required during the test, our lab technician will withdraw the blood sample from you, once you are ready for the test. You will receive the blood test within 24-48 hours and do not self diagnose your health condition, Please show it to the doctor for consultation and medication.|
What are the things to consider after the lipid profile test is completed?
Once the test is complete your reports will be available on the MFine app, you can download it and show it to the doctor for interpreting the lipid blood test reports.
What types of diseases can a lipid Profile test detect?
A lipid profile test can detect the fat levels in the body as well as any dangers and risks of cardiovascular disease.
How much risk is involved in taking a lipid Profile test?
No risk is involved in taking the lipid profile test.
How much does the lipid profile test cost?
The cost of the lipid Profile Test varies based on location and lab partners it ranges anywhere between Rs.159-599:
|City Name||Starting Price|
|Lipid Profile Test in Bangalore||Rs. 208|
|Lipid Profile Test in Delhi||Rs. 231|
|Lipid Profile Test in Kolkata||Rs. 231|
|Lipid Profile Test in Chennai||Rs. 231|
|Lipid Profile Test in Mumbai||Rs. 455|
|Lipid Profile Test in Noida||Rs. 159|
|Lipid Profile Test in Gurgaon||Rs. 200|
|Lipid Profile Test in Pune||Rs. 231|
How long does it take to get lipid profile test results through MFine?
It takes around 24-48 hours for the results of the test to be available in the MFine app.
Is lipid profile Test a definitive test?
Lipids are a group of fat-like substances that include cholesterol, triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein (HDL), and low-density lipoprotein (LDL). A lipid panel is a blood test used to measure these lipids.
How to read the Lipid Profile test report?
It is advised to consult a doctor to read the report. However, these are the generally referred values:
Total Blood (Serum) Cholesterol:
The recommended level of cholesterol is 200 mg/dL. Levels over 200 mg/dL may mean you are at higher risk for heart disease.
- Desirable: Less than 200 mg/dL.
- Borderline High: 200-239 mg/dL.
- High: Over 240 mg/dL.
It is very important to maintain cholesterol levels below 200 mg/dL, Anything above 239 mg/dL may increase the risk of heart disease.
- Optimal: Less than 100 mg/dL.
- Near optimal: 100-129 mg/dL.
- Borderline high: 130-159 mg/dL.
- High: 160-189 mg/dL.
High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL):
Generally, HDL levels of 50 mg/dL or higher are considered to be good. Ideal levels of HDL is below 40 mg/dL as it may increase heart disease.
- Normal: less than 150 mg/dL.
- Borderline–high: 150-199 mg/dL.
- High: 200-499 mg/dL.
- Very high: 500 mg/dL.
What affects the lipid profile test results?
- Poor diet.
- Obesity. High BMI levels put you at risk of high cholesterol.
- Lack of exercise.
Why To Book
- We, at MFine, treat your health as our top priority!
- Mfine offers comprehensive lab tests and health packages. You can access Lipid profile blood tests in Kolkata using the Mfine mobile app. You can also check online for the best diagnostic centres and consult with the best doctors in the city.
- Mfine, Kolkata’s health care portal provides a wide range of services. You can access Lipid profile blood tests through the Mfine mobile app or online and also see the best diagnostic centres in your city. You can select from labs such as from Thyrocare, Healthians or Prima Diagnostics etc.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does it measure?
- You need to fast for 8-12 hours to get accurate results before the lipid test. However, you are allowed to drink water. Few precautions are also needed before the test:
- 1. Avoid high-fat foods the night before the lipid blood test.
- 2. Avoid drinking alcohol.
- 3. Avoid excessive exercise before the lipid profile test.
- 4. For most accurate results, wait at least two months after a Heart attack, surgery, infection, injury, or pregnancy to check cholesterol levels.
- 5. Diabetes patients need to consult their doctor before taking the test.