Diet & Nutrition Last updated on 2021-04-06 16:09:03
7 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Skip Your Breakfast
- Ms. Smitakshi Guha
- 3 Min Read
- Fact Checked
If you’re someone who often skips breakfast every morning due to the morning rush or just the obsession to cut down on the calories—it’s time you know something really important! You could be subjecting yourself to a number of health risks. Read on to know seven things that happen to your body when you regularly skip your breakfast—
1. You may gain weightWhile you may feel that by skipping breakfast you’re actually getting one step closer to your weight loss goals, the truth is likely to be just the opposite! Studies say that when people skip breakfast, they tend to overeat during their other mealtimes like lunch and dinner or snack more often than usual, which is a key factor contributing to weight gain.
2. Your body’s natural metabolism slows downAfter long fasting during your night’s sleep, when you don’t have breakfast in the morning, your body misses out on the much-needed fuel to keep its metabolism efficient. Instead, to make up for the restriction in calories, it slows down the process of burning the calories.
3. Your breath could stinkRight! You may think that where would the bad breath come from if you don’t even have any food in the morning to begin with? Well, according to studies, there’s a stimulation in saliva production when we have breakfast, which in turn gets our tongue rid of the bacteria that dwells on it once we wake up after a long sleep. Skipping breakfast makes the bacteria thrive, resulting in that stinky breath.
4. Your energy takes a nose-diveSkipping breakfast is synonymous with lacking the much-needed fuel for the body! When you have no fuel in your system, your energy levels are at an all-time low, hindering you from important stuff like going for that morning jog or hitting the gym.
5. Your cognitive functions may sufferAfter an overnight fasting, when your brain doesn’t get essential nutrients, which comes from a healthy breakfast, there’s a drop in your sugar levels, which is likely to make you lose focus and forget things more readily than usual. Complex carbs and other nutrients are important for the brain to function effectively.
6. You’re likely to be HangryWhen you’re on an empty stomach and feel hungry, it’s natural for you to lose focus during any activity. This often results in you feeling grumpy for most part of the day and hence, be hangry—which is a combination of hungry and angry.
7. You may increase your risk of getting type 2 diabetesResearch has suggested that people are 20% more likely to get prediabetes or type 2 diabetes when they skip their breakfast regularly. This is because of the fact that there’s a case of impaired glucose tolerance when you skip your meals. So, the next time you think of skipping breakfast, don’t forget that you may be putting your health under the scanner. When it comes to health, knowing is awesome. To know more about your body, book a health check up with us today.
Consult a Dietitian
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!