10+ Home Remedies for UTI
3 Min Read
Urinary tract infections are common, especially in women. It is estimated that a woman can have UTI at least once in her lifetime. There are also high chances of recurrence. This is due to the short urethra which gives a way to the microorganisms into the urinary tract. In a few Urinary tract infections, both the partners are to be treated. UTI is usually treated with medications but there are some home remedies for Urine infection that can be followed to avoid infection/recurrence of infection.
Symptoms of UTI (Urinary Tract Infections)
The symptoms of UTI can be almost similar in men and women:
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Pain while urinating
- Frequency in urination
- Foul-smelling urine/cloudy urine
- Pain in the lower abdomen or low back pain
- Fever with nausea/vomiting
One may not have all the symptoms of UTI and with certain lab tests and medications, UTI can be treated effectively. Along with medical management, there are certain things to be done to prevent UTI. So here are 10 plus home remedies for UTI.
Home Remedies for UTI (Urinary Tract Infections)
- Drink plenty of water: Hydration is important for many reasons. And one most important reason is it helps you urinate frequently and flush out bacteria before they cause infection. A few studies have suggested this is an effective Burning urine home remedy
- Wipe front to back: Maintaining private part hygiene is very important, but more so it should be done from front to back- that is from the vagina to the anal region. This will prevent the spreading of organisms from the anal canal to the urethra or vagina
- Do not hold your urine for long: You should hydrate well and also urinate when you feel like it. The more you hold the urine, the higher are the chances to get UTI. This will help the organisms to grow and infect the urinary tract.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse: Due to the friction and secretions there are chances that the microbes which are present on the surface of the urethra might gain access to the Urinary tract and hence it’s important to urinate and flush out the microbes.
- Cranberry juice: Having cranberry extracts or juice helps in preventing UTI. Cranberry has substances that will inhibit the binding of bacteria to the urinary tract and hence help in preventing the infection
- Change your menstrual pads/cups/tampons often: Menstrual hygiene is to be maintained to avoid the growth of bacteria in the private parts. Tampons or pads should be changed every 4-5 hrs or less depending on the flow. Also, wear cotton underwear preferably which will help in avoiding moisture trapping and airflow.
- Probiotics: Having probiotics will help in maintaining gut health which in turn helps in maintaining optimum immune levels to fight off the infections
- Avoid irritating Feminine products: Deodorants and chemicals used to clean the private parts might in turn cause damage rather than cleaning the private parts. Excessive and unsupervised usage many actually disrupt the good microbes which are present in the private parts which will give way to the infection causing organisms
- Lose weight: Overweight and obesity reduces the aeration in the private areas and also can lead to dampness which can increase the chances of vaginal and Urine infection
- Include Garlic in your diet: Garlic is known for its antibacterial, antifungal properties. A few studies have shown that garlic reduces the chances of bacterial UTI.
- Control your sugars: Diabetics are more prone to having UTIs due to abnormal sugar levels in the body and also attenuated Immune system due to the disease itself.
These are simple but effective 10+ home remedies for UTI and will help in prevention. But if the symptoms like burning sensation and pain while urination is present for more than a couple of days or if there is any fever or blood in urine, consulting a doctor is better. They will be better able to guide if one needs UTI treatment without antibiotics or not.
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!