Coronavirus Last updated on 2021-03-17 17:54:10
Why Washing Hands Regularly Is So Important?
- Dr. Sreelekha Daruvuri
- 3 Min Read
A horde of infectious diseases can be easily spread from one person to another because of dirty or contaminated hands. These diseases can range from gastrointestinal infections such as Salmonella, respiratory infections such as influenza and even the coronavirus disease. Experts suggest that handwashing is the first important tip that can help in keeping COVID-19 infection at bay. It is simple and it works effectively. If soap and water are not available, the next best option for you is to use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
How dirty hands spread germsThroughout the day, we touch our eyes, nose, and mouth - a lot of times unknowingly. Unwashed hands can cause germs(like bacteria, viruses, fungus and protozoa) to enter the body and make us sick( can make others sick too).
- Germs from unwashed hands can get into food and drinks while eating or cooking
- Germs from unwashed hands can be transferred to objects like smartphones, toys or high touch surfaces
- Germs from unwashed hands, especially when unwell can be spread to others
When to wash your hands
- Before you eat or cook
- After you use the restroom
- After you clean around the house
- After handling animals, including pets
- Before and after visiting sick friends or relatives
- After you cough or sneeze
- After you come back from outdoors
- After clearing out the garbage
Follow these steps for handwashing
- Wet your hands with clean, running water& then turn off the tap
- Apply soap and lather your hands by rubbing them together
- Make sure that you lather the backs of your hands, under your nails and between your fingers
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water
- Dry your hands using a clean towel
When to use a hand sanitizerExperts say that alcohol-based sanitizer (more than 60% alcohol) can prove to be helpful in preventing the spread of coronavirus and other germs. It is the best option when soap and water are not available. If you go outdoors, make sure you are carrying a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer as it is easy to disinfect your hands. Pour a generous amount of sanitizer on your palm and rub it across both hands, fingertips, and the back of your hands. Keep in mind that washing your hands with soap and water is still the best. So remember, staying away from COVID-19 infection and not playing the part of their propagation is all, literally in your hands. It is advised that you do not panic. Combat the fear through information and precaution. When detected on time, coronavirus can be treated effectively. Please follow good personal and hand hygiene, local safety measures and consult a doctor when experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness. MFine is here to address all your coronavirus concerns. From details about the virus to precautions, consult our doctors online.
Request a Call Back
Consult a General Physician
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!