Diet & Nutrition Last updated on 2022-03-10 18:42:16
How Many Calories and Carbs Are in a Banana?
- Dt. Parvathy Menon
- 2 Min Read
- Fact Checked
Banana is one of the most commonly consumed fruits in the world. It is extremely healthy and is filled with a variety of nutrients. In Indian households, bananas are used in different ways either in the raw or in the ripe form. Not just the fruit, even the flower, stem, and leaves of banana are used. It is considered as one of the best post-workout food too. However, did you ever wonder how many calories and carbs are there in a banana? In this article, we shall answer this question.
Calories Depend on the Size of the BananaDepending on the size of the banana and also the type, the calorie varies. On average, a medium-sized banana contains 105 calories. Also, if you slice or mash the banana, the calories will vary depending on the number of cups. Size and calories:
- Extra small - 70-72 calories
- Small - 88-90 calories
- Medium - 100-105 calories
- Large - 118-121 calories
- Extra large - 130-135 calories
- Sliced (1 cup) - 130-134 calories
- Mashed (1 cup) - 180-200 caloriesTherefore, we can say that the calorie of a banana varies between 70-135 calories. In this 93% calories comes from carbs, 4% calories from protein, and 3% from fat.
What is the Carb Count in a Banana?The two main components of a fully ripe banana are water and carbs. This means that the amount of carbs in an unripened banana is much less than the ripened banana. Again, the number of carbs in a banana vary from size to size. However, an average-sized banana contains 25 grams of carbs. Size and carbs in gram:
- Extra small - 15-19 grams
- Small - 20-23 grams
- Medium - 25-27 grams
- Large - 28-31 grams
- Extra large - 30-35 grams
- Sliced (1 cup) - 30-34 grams
- Mashed (1 cup) - 45-51 gramsIf you are wondering what is your pre and post-workout food options, watch the below video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nF3VuV14Ls
Other Nutrients in a BananaBanana is not just about calories and carbs. It is also known for the amount of potassium it contains. The following are the nutrients that one medium-sized banana contains:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B2
ConclusionIf you are looking for food items that are high in calories, or that provide more energy, bananas can be your go-to fruit. Even though it is a good source of carbs and potassium, it cannot fulfil your daily needs of proteins and fats. The fibre content of bananas promotes weight loss, but you can limit your intake of bananas if you are on a low-carb diet.
Request a Call Back
Consult a Dietitian
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!