Health A to Z Last updated on 2021-02-26 20:51:29
Blood in Urine? It Could Be Bladder Cancer
- Dr. Sreelekha Daruvuri
- 2 Min Read
- Fact Checked
Bladder cancer is the 4th most common cancer in men and the 8th most common cancer in women in India. 97% of the patients present with painless blood in the urine, and individuals are usually diagnosed in the early stages of the disease.
- Smoking is the most important and known causative of bladder cancer
- Chemical exposure (water containing arsenic, dyes-aromatic amines, chloroanilines), chemotherapy(cyclophosphamide) and radiation
- Urinary blood fluke Infections
- Certain medications(high doses of pioglitazone) and herbal supplements
- Not hydrating enough, Eating processed meat regularly
- Race and Ethnicity-Caucasians are more likely to develop Cancers of the bladder
- Age- 9 out of 10 individuals are over the age of 55
- Chronic urothelial lining irritation- from frequent UTIs, stones, long term bladder catheters, etc
- Cancers in other parts of the Urinary tract
- Birth anomalies of the bladder like Patent Urachus, Exstrophy of the bladder
- Inherited conditions- Cowden's disease, Retinoblastoma, Lynch Syndrome
Symptoms & signsBlood in the urine Pink, orange, red or blood tinged urine can be noticed. Usually blood in the urine may not be found but detected incidentally in Urine Analysis tests, so it is important to get your urine checked regularly. Change in bladder habits
- Having to urinate more often than usual
- Pain or burning during urination
- Feeling as if you need to go right away, even when your bladder isn't full
- Having trouble urinating or having a weak urine stream
- Having to get up to urinate many times during the night
- Urothelial carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Quitting smoking
- Limiting exposure to chemicals and radiation
- Drinking plenty of water
- Consuming abundant fruits and vegetables
Consult a Urologist
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Read more on Health A to Z
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!