You Should Know These 5 Basic First-Aid Procedures By Heart
3 Min Read
Let’s face it—an emergency can strike anytime, anywhere! Knowing the most effective and basic first-aid tips is imperative to make sure you have got at least some control over the situation until help arrives.
Below are some of the most important and basic first-aid tips, you should definitely know:
In any situation, if you see someone collapse due to a cardiac arrest, giving them immediate CPR is mandatory. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) needs you to start chest compressions right away on the patient while you wait for the paramedics to arrive. There are several guidelines laid down by the American Heart Association when it comes to giving someone a CPR—
- Ask someone to call for an ambulance and get medical help immediately.
- Start the CPR right away, regardless of your training. If you’re trained at CPR, you would know the exact intervals at which you would have to pair up the CPR with rescue breathing. But if you’re not trained, simply go ahead with the chest compressions and don’t go for mouth-to-mouth respiration.
- You should not delay the CPR under any circumstance as any delay can cause the patient to die.
2. Stopping heavy bleeding
When someone is bleeding profusely, their blood simply wouldn’t clot. If no action is taken, they can die by just bleeding out. In such a situation, get a sterile cloth or any t-shirt or scarf that’s handy to you and apply pressure on the wound immediately. Do not stop applying pressure come what may until help arrives, because in case it’s an arterial bleeding, removing the pressure can make the patient die in no time!
3. Basic first-aid tips for burns
Regardless of the severity of the burn, the most essential step is to first stop the burn and then treat it.
- Let cold water run down the area of the burn. Do not use ice at all.
- Take a light gauze bandage and gently wrap it around the burn area.
- Make sure you don’t apply any ointment or oily solutions to the burn.
- Do not pop any blisters that would have formed in that area.
- Get medical help right away.
4. Basic first-aid tips for seizures
Conditions like epilepsy can cause chronic seizures in patients. In such situations, make sure you keep the person calm until the seizure stops. Do not pay any heed to superstitions like using iron to make the seizure fade away, as it can cause more harm than good. Instead, do not give anything to the person in their mouth and keep the area surrounding them clear. Stay with them until the seizure stops and even after that. Get medical attention right away in case the seizure doesn’t stop even after five minutes or if the patient gets unconscious or another seizure.
5. Basic first-aid tips for stroke
Although more common in elderly people, a stroke can happen to anyone. Some of the most common signs of stroke you should look out for include sudden drooping of one side of the body, disorientation and dizziness, headaches, as well as difficulty in walking. Each second counts when you’re dealing with a stroke. Follow the FAST assessment system to determine if a person is having a stroke. This refers to any deviation observed in their Face, their Arms, their Speech, and their orientation to Time.
Health emergencies are unwarranted events that can strike anytime. Being prepared is the only way you can deal with them until professional help arrives. So, know these techniques and tips to the best of your ability to ensure you can save someone’s life, if such a scenario arises anytime.
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!