Lifestyle Last updated on 2022-02-04 22:42:47
6 Things You Can Do Everyday To Lower The Risk Of Cancer
- Dr. Sreelekha Daruvuri
- 2 Min Read
- Fact Checked
What can you do to lower cancer risk factors — Advances in cancer management have given a ray of hope to the ones affected. Today, compared to the past, we have multiple treatment options and better survival rates, but the mortality is still high, mainly due to late detection. There are modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors. We are yet to discover more about preventing cancer. But even simple lifestyle changes can make a difference, as lifestyle choices can affect the chances of developing cancer.
(1) Healthy DietTry to include a variety of colored vegetables and fruits which contain more vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other substances that may help reduce cancer risk. Also, healthy eating habits help in maintaining a healthy weight. ACS recommends two and a half to 3 cups of vegetables and one and a half to 2 cups of fruits every day, depending on the calorie requirement to help reduce the risk of cancer. Avoid too much consumption of red meat and processed foods which increases the risk of many cancers like breast and prostate.
(2) Healthy Weight and Physical ActivityMany cancers are linked to excess weight, like kidney and colon cancers. Excess weight increases the risk of cancers like breast, endometrium, and pancreas. Being overweight is mainly due to excess calories and not burning enough calories. Lowering weight reduces the risk. Any amount of physical activity can help. Adults can do 150 min of moderate activity per week. In general, doing 30 minutes of exercise per day can help reduce the risk of cancers and help lose weight.
(3) Skip Tobacco UsageTobacco usage can lead to many other forms of cancers apart from the respiratory system. Smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and also cervix, kidneys, and prostate cancers. Chewing tobacco can increase the risk of oral cancers. Certain substances get absorbed and affect different organs. Not just primary smoking, passive smoking is also harmful. So, avoiding smoking in any form will help reduce the risk of cancers.
(4) Reduce Alcohol IntakeIt’s best not to consume alcohol. But if one has a habit of consuming alcohol, it should be limited. Cancer risk is linked to the quantity of alcohol intake, not the type. Alcohol, along with smoking, increases the risk of cancer. So Drinking alcohol in moderation is the key.
(5) Protect Your SkinUV rays in sunlight damage the skin and can lead to skin cancers. Avoiding mid-day sun and applying sunscreen of minimum SPF 30 with clothes to cover the exposed parts will lower the damage caused by sun rays.
(6) Avoid Risky BehaviorsCertain risky behaviors can lead to infections, increasing the risk of cancer. Sharing needles can increase the risk of hepatitis infection, indirectly increasing the risk of liver cancer. Practicing safe sex will help lower the risk of HPV infection that can help prevent cervical cancer, one of the most typical cancers in women. Simple lifestyle changes can help us live a cancer-free life. Timely check-ups, including self-care, also help in the early detection of cancer. Get in touch with a doctor if you have symptoms like unexplained weight loss, fever, or swollen lymph nodes. Cancer can be prevented and treated if detected in the early stages. Read more on 7 Warning Signs of Breast Cancer in Indian Women.
Consult a General Physician
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!