Health A to Z Last updated on 2022-04-14 12:00:02
10 Ways To Take Care Of Your Eyes
- Dr. Sreelekha Daruvuri
- 4 Min Read
- Fact Checked
On a daily basis, we are often bombarded with various information which guides us on how to take care of our health, skin, hair etc. but very little amount of attention is paid to our eyes. The eyes, an essential part of the body, are often neglected in the human body but we should pay utmost attention to these as we depend on our vision. Some eye diseases can lead to vision loss so it is important to identify and treat eye disease. While visiting an eye specialist is a vital step, there are many other things that one must do on a daily basis to take better care of eyes. Eye problems can be avoided easily if you take proper care of your eyes by practicing some essential eye care habits every day. For maintaining eye health and to keep your vision sharp, below are some of the top ways to take care of your eyes and this should be a part of your daily routine:
(1) Eat a healthy, balanced diet:Diet plays an important role in keeping eyes healthy. Your diet must consist of plenty of fruits and vegetables which are deep yellow/orange and green leafy vegetables such as spinach. Along with this, consuming fish high in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, tuna and halibut keep the eyes healthy as they supply key vitamins and nutrients. This even reduces the risk of developing macular degeneration and glaucoma. Adding a variety of food to the diet helps in maintaining eye health.
(2) Regular exercise:Doing regular exercise helps in preventing various health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. These diseases affect many organs including the eyes and can lead to vision loss problems. So if you exercise regularly, you can lower the risk of getting these eye and vision-related problems.
(3) Observe the 20-20-20 rule:To keep the eyes in great shape and condition, you must adhere to the 20-20-20 rule. This states that every 20 minutes, look away from the computer and fix your gaze on any object which is 20 feet away. Blink 20 successive times to prevent eye dryness. After every 20 minutes, get out of the seat and take 20 steps. This is not just good for the eyes but this even promotes good posture and blood circulation throughout the body.
(4) Wash hands before touching the eyes:You must clean your hands before touching your eyes especially if you wear a contact lens. Before touching your eyes, you must wash your hands with mild soap and dry them with a lint-free towel. This is because germs and bacteria can enter your eyes by fingers and can cause eye infections such as pink eye and can even introduce cold and flu viruses in the body.
(5) Wear protective eyewear:To prevent eye injuries, one must need eye protection when playing sports, working in jobs such as factory work and construction and doing repairs or projects at home. Even doing any DIY project at home, you must put on safety glasses to protect the eyes from microscopic dust particles, bacteria and injuries.
(6) Maintain proper screen distance and room lighting:Computer screens must be placed at about an arm’s length (roughly 40-75 cm) from the eyes and 15-20 degrees below eye level. This helps in keeping the eyes away from getting strained. If you have long working hours, make sure that you have sufficient but diffused lighting in the room. You must refrain from using focused and extremely bright lights. Focused and too bright lights can result in glare and this puts much stress on the eyes.
(7) Remove your eye make-up at the end of the day:You must take some time to remove your eye make-up before going to bed. You must never put your make-up on in bed. If you go to bed with eyeliner or any mascara, it can get into your eyes and can irritate them. Sleeping with eye makeup can cause pores around the eyes to become clogged and this can lead to styes. A severe stye will then require the use of antibiotics or if the condition gets worse, this must be removed by a doctor. Individuals who are fond of makeup must keep makeup remover pads near the bed for the time when you are too tired to go through a night cleansing routine
(8) Protect your eyes from the sun:Regular exposure to sunlight and UV rays accelerates the risk for diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, and early cataract. You must always wear sunglasses when you are outside and the sun is shining. You must look for sunglasses that have specifications of lenses that block 99% or 100% of UVB and UVA rays. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can harm eyesight, protection in youth can help in preventing loss of eyesight. As the damage to the eyes from UV rays build up over a lifetime, it is important to protect children from harmful rays.
(9) Sleep properly:Inadequate sleep even contributes to the factor that causes eye fatigue. Common symptoms of eye fatigue include eye irritation, difficulty focusing, dryness or excessive tears, blurred or double vision, light sensitivity or pain in the neck, shoulder or back. You must make sure that you take at least 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. Most individuals spend hours using digital devices such as cell phones, tablets etc. These devices emit high energy blue light waves which damage the eyes over time. Consuming certain supplements can help your eyes filter blue light. Digital screens can cause permanent damage and even cause strain and dry eyes. The glare from the computer screen causes muscle fatigue in the eyes.
Conclusion:Apart from following the daily care routine for the eyes, getting comprehensive eye exams is important because some eye diseases may even not show any warning signs. The doctors at MFine offer world-class eye care and vision correction specializing treatment. You can download MFine and experience state of art medical facilities that bring together revolutionary technologies with experienced specialists in ophthalmology. Consult an Ophthalmologist: Specialists For Treating Eye Disorders Now!
Consult a General Physician
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Read more on Health A to Z
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!