Calprotectin Lab Test in Pune
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book a Calprotectin lab test in Pune?
What is a Calprotectin Test used for?
Faecal Calprotectin Test is used to determine bowel inflammation such as Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) like Crohn’s disease. It distinguishes between disorders of the intestines and thus makes diagnosis and treatment easier. Long-standing conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel disease, which goes undiagnosed in many individuals, can be detected through a Calprotectin Test. Monitoring disease progression and treatment efficacy are other useful indications.
Your doctor may recommend you a Calprotectin Test if you suffer from the following symptoms:
- Diarrhoea or loose motion, which may be watery or, in some cases, blood-stained.
- Stomach aches in regular intervals.
- You may experience weight loss which cannot be explained by any other reason.
- Feeling of cramps
- Bleeding from your rectum or anus.
Symptoms may not always be the same as mentioned above, and therefore, one should not self-diagnose or treat themselves at home.
What is included in a Calprotectin Test?
The amount of calprotectin present in the stool is measured by this test.
Calprotectin is a protein that is produced and released by White Blood Cells (WBCs) called Neutrophils and Monocytes present in our blood. Whenever a tissue or part of our body is under attack by an infection, our immune system tries to defend it by sending Neutrophils through the blood.
These neutrophils act by releasing certain substances, important among them being calprotectin, helping to fight and bring down inflammation.
- Long-standing infection like in Chronic inflammatory bowel disease, these calprotectin levels may rise substantially.
- Sometimes the levels of calprotectin may be low in non-inflammatory conditions of the intestines like IBS.
Thus, calprotectin helps control the infection and is a useful indicator of your bowel or intestinal health.
When there is inflammation or one that does not resolve, it may cause the calprotectin levels to rise substantially over a period of time, which is known as chronic inflammation.
Research says that the sensitivity of a Fecal Calprotectin Test has improved over the years and thus has proved beneficial for Gastroenterologists around the world in managing intestinal conditions.
Procedure for Calprotectin Test
- Stool samples will be collected with the help of a collection device and sent to a designated laboratory by our lab technicians. This device helps prevent contamination from environmental and personal substances.
- The assigned laboratory will analyze the stool sample for calprotectin levels with the help of an ELISA test or Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay.
- ELISA is a gold-standard test that uses an antibody that binds to the intended substances (in this case, calprotectin) to determine the level of calprotectin in your stool.
- It is a highly sensitive tool that minimizes errors in detecting the levels of calprotectin.
- An ELISA test result will provide you with the amount of calprotectin present in your intestines.
How to prepare for a Calprotectin Test?
A few important precautions and preparations must be taken before giving your stool samples for testing.
- You must inform your Physician or Gastroenterologist about any existing medicine that you may be taking. After the proper screening, your doctor will advise you to go for a Calprotectin Test with a proper prescription.
- Certain foods and beverage intake may need to be reduced, stopped, or modified, like Nicotine products, Alcoholic beverages, and medicines like Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs).
- One should wear clean disposable gloves while providing a stool sample, thus preventing contamination of the sample.
- The container must be held close to your anus to collect the stool properly.
- Gloves should be disposed of once a sample is collected.
Things to consider after a Calprotectin Test is complete
- Your stool sample will be sent to the designated lab.
- It may take a few days for results.
- After results for the Calprotectin Test are obtained, you must consult a physician or Gastroenterologist for further treatment. Self-interpretation may prove hazardous.
- Your doctor may recommend if further testing is required based on the results of the Calprotectin Test.
How much does a Calprotectin Test cost?
Approximate cost of a Fecal Calprotectin Test in India.
|Sr. No||City||Approximate cost|
|1.||Book Calprotectin Test in Delhi||Rs. 2250/-|
|2.||Book Calprotectin Test in Hyderabad||Rs. 2338/-|
|3.||Book Calprotectin Test in Kolkata||Rs. 2338/-|
|4.||Book Calprotectin Test in Pune||Rs. 2338/-|
|5.||Book Calprotectin Test in Mumbai||Rs. 2338/-|
How long does it take to get the results of a Calprotectin Test?
You can expect to get the results for the Calprotectin Test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal Calprotectin Test results indicate?
Faecal calprotectin level may help you find out the possible causes of your symptoms.
Some bacterial infections may cause a significant and sometimes transient rise in the calprotectin levels in your stool, whereas, on the other hand, viral infections may cause only slight elevation.
- High levels: Usually indicate long-standing diseases such as Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Colorectal cancer, Colitis. It may also provide an insight into the acute exacerbation of an underlying disease. Further, testing such as colonoscopy may be advised by your doctor.
- Normal to low levels: This may be nothing to worry about much, and your doctor may advise lifestyle changes, dietary modifications to improve symptoms. A lower than normal level of calprotectin in the stool may point towards a non-inflammatory disease of the large intestine such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Moderate levels: Borderline elevated levels may point towards initial stages of inflammation or bacterial infection, which may require further testing.
Is calprotectin a definitive test?
Faecal calprotectin level is useful in determining an intestinal condition but may not always prove to be a definitive test.
calprotectin levels are indicators of abnormalities in your intestines. They are not useful when a condition exists in your small intestine or other areas of the lower abdomen.
They may provide false-positive results when some other underlying inflammatory condition somewhere else in the body abnormally elevates the calprotectin levels like Cancer, Ulcers, and parasitic infections. Normal calprotectin levels do not mean the absence of IBD.
How to read the Calprotectin Test report?
All laboratory tests are provided with a reference range of the substance intended to be reported as normal or abnormal.
According to the York care pathway, the following reference range is provided for interpretation.
|Sr. No||Test result value||Interpretation|
|1.||<100µg/g||Normal or low|
|2.||100 – 250µg/g||Moderately elevated|
The values provided are recorded as µg/g read as micrograms per gram of a stool sample, which is the standard unit of measurement for calprotectin levels. The reference range may vary according to different labs and criteria used by doctors.
Calprotectin Test at home – how does it work?
The Calprotectin Test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first prepares you for the test by wearing sterile gloves himself and will provide you with one as well. The required amount of stool sample is collected with a special container and is stored properly in a transport device. Recent trends have also provided a phone-based app that, if appropriate, can interpret results at your home.
Are there any risks involved with the Calprotectin Test?
During sample collection, a minor chance of contamination does exist, which adds up to diagnostic errors and the risk of misdiagnosis and/or treatment.
The Fecal Calprotectin Test may not detect conditions apart from the ones directly affecting the large intestine. Some Inflammatory conditions and cancers of the small intestine may go undiagnosed and need a high suspicion and diagnostic accuracy.
There is also a possibility of having low levels of calprotectin in your stool, and you still may have symptoms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, which may be hazardous in some situations.
What can affect the results of a Calprotectin Test?
Normal or low levels of calprotectin in your stool may sometimes indicate that the inflammation has subsided, which means you are probably in a remission phase of long-standing bowel disease.
Any other underlying disease in the body may abnormally elevate your calprotectin levels, such as celiac disease, allergies, or intolerance to certain substances in the body. The symptoms of the above-mentioned conditions mimic any bowel disease, and thus it is important to rule out other conditions.
Why book calprotectin test?
- A faecal calprotectin test may be requested when a person has symptoms that suggest that gastrointestinal inflammation may be present and when a doctor wants to distinguish between IBD and a non-inflammatory bowel condition (e.g. IBS). Symptoms will vary from person to person and over time.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does calprotectin lab test measures?
- Calprotectin test is used to determine Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) like Crohn's disease. It can measure long-standing conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel disease, which goes undiagnosed in many individuals. An increased calprotectin level in a person’s stool indicates that inflammation is likely to be present in the intestines but does not confirm its location or cause. Increases in calprotectin are seen with IBD, but also with bacterial infections, some parasitic infections, and colorectal cancer.
- Your doctor may recommend you a calprotectin test if you suffer from the following symptoms:
- -Diarrhoea or lose motion, which may be watery or, in some cases, blood-stained.
- -Stomach aches in regular intervals.
- -You may experience weight loss which cannot be explained by any other reason.
- -Feeling of cramps
- -Bleeding from your rectum or anus.
- Symptoms may not always be the same as mentioned above, and therefore, one should not self-diagnose or treat themselves at home.
What Preparation is needed for the calprotectin test?
- Here are a few things to take note of
- Disclose any medications you're talking to your doctor or gastroenterologist.
- Certain foods and beverages, such as nicotine products and alcoholic drinks, as well as medicines like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, may need to be reduced, terminated, or altered (NSAIDs)
- You must first take your lab order to get an appropriate specimen container before collecting your specimen.
- Wear clean disposable gloves while taking a stool sample to avoid contamination.
- Hold the container close to your anus for effective stool collecting.
- Remove the gloves after collecting the sample.
- Dispose the hand gloves immediately and wash your hands
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Katraj, Pune?
Yes, an at-home sample collecting service is available in Katraj, Pune. In Pune, MFine has an extensive network of labs and professionals. You are not required to visit our laboratory. After you reserve a time slot, our skilled expert will collect the appropriate sample according to the agreed-upon time slot.
What is the cost of the Calprotectin lab test in Pune?
Numerous laboratory tests are conducted in daily routine. The cost varies for each test. The average cost of the calprotectin lab test is INR 2850 in Pune.
I live in Kasba Peth. Can I book a calprotectin lab test for my Uncle staying in Katraj?
With the service of MFine, you can book the calprotectin test from any place at the designated MFine labs available across the country. Users can book health checks and lab tests and collect their samples from home. The reports are available on the app and website, and the user can avail of expert consultation with a doctor.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the Calprotectin test sample collection?
You can easily reschedule the appointment for a calprotectin test through the MFine app. The app has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time. MFine will collect your sample from your home at your convenience.
Is the lab technician coming for a Calprotectin lab test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using sanitiser and gloves during sample collection. So now you can book a test conveniently without worrying about stepping out of your house.
When is a calprotectin lab test recommended?
It depends on a person’s symptoms, but if gastroenteritis and abdominal pain persist despite taking doctor-prescribed medications, calprotectin is highly recommended. It is mostly advised when you are experiencing severe changes in your bowel system. This test is often advised if indeed the belly seems to be stiff but does not recover but upon medication.
Is a prescription required to book a Calprotectin lab test?
Because it is for the early diagnosis of any abnormalities in the stomach, a calprotectin test does not require a doctor’s prescription. However, we recommend contacting a doctor before getting a calprotectin test so that they can better understand your symptoms and you can make an informed decision. As a result, having a prescription is always a plus.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the Calprotectin lab test a definitive test?
The faecal calprotectin level can assist in diagnosing intestinal issues, but it isn’t always an accurate test. If another underlying inflammatory sickness elsewhere in the body, such as cancer, ulcers, or parasite infections, abnormally elevates calprotectin levels, they may provide false-positive results.
What other tests are usually recommended along with a calprotectin lab test?
Calprotectin test usually detects inflammation in the intestines. There can be other problems as well. Thus, to be sure, doctors prescribe some other tests as well. Along with calprotectin tests, doctors may also recommend tests like stool white blood cell test or faecal occult blood test (FOBT).
What diseases can be detected through the calprotectin lab test?
The calprotectin medical test could perhaps not identify any specific disease; it can only measure active inflammation and the severity of inflammation in the intestine. It may also indicate a bacterial infection. Other tests, if necessary, will be recommended by the physician to confirm the disease based on the inflammation.
How can I download my Calprotectin lab test report?
– Login to MFine
– Go to your profile
– Click Attachment and Reports
– Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the Calprotectin lab test in Pune?
Usually, you can avail yourself up to a 50% discount on the Calprotectin through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.