Book Alkaline Phosphatase Test in Mumbai
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book an alkaline phosphatase test in Mumbai?
What is the Alkaline Phosphatase Test used for?
The alkaline phosphatase test (ALP test) can help to determine the following:
- blockage of bile ducts
An alkaline phosphatase blood test can also help diagnose the following bone problems:
- Paget’s disease
This test can also be useful in answering for the presence of cancer tumors, unusual bone growth, or deficiency of vitamin D.
Higher blood levels of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) may also indicate problems with your liver or gallbladder. These problems may include:
- blockage of bile ducts
- liver cancer
What is included in the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
- Alkaline phosphatase is a kind of test that allows measuring the amount of ALP in your blood. You have alkaline phosphatase throughout your body, including your liver, digestive system, kidneys, and bones.
- If you show signs of liver disease or a bone disorder, your doctor may order an alkaline phosphatase (ALP) test to measure the amount of the enzyme in your blood and help in diagnosing the difficulty.
- It is frequently ordered along with other tests, such as a gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) test and/or as part of a liver panel, which checks how your liver is working.
Procedure for Alkaline Phosphatase Test
- In an ALP test, blood needs to be drawn from your arm, and it is performed by a healthcare practitioner.
- The healthcare professional then sanitizes the skin on the front side of the elbow with alcohol and ties a tourniquet band, which will allow pooling the blood from the vein.
- Insert the needle into the vein to draw blood and then collect it in a tube.
- This process is simple and quick and causes less pain or soreness.
- The blood sample is then collected, and further analysis is done in the laboratory. Usually, the ALP test takes 24-48 hours to get the report.
How to prepare for an Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
You may have to limit food and liquids for several hours before the test. Some medicines interfere with the results. So, make sure your doctor knows about all drugs you take, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and supplements. Be sure to let your doctor know if you are pregnant because that will increase the level of ALP in your blood.
Things to consider after Alkaline Phosphatase Test is complete
When the test is done, the lab tech will take the tourniquet off, and you will get a bandage on the spot where the needle went in. It takes only a few minutes. The sample is immediately sent to a medical laboratory for analysis. Most of the time, you will be able to return to your normal activities right away. Once the test results are back, your healthcare provider will share the results with you.
What types of infection can the Alkaline Phosphatase test detect?
The ALP test can be helpful in identifying conditions such as
- Blockage of bile ducts (from a gallstone, inflammation, or cancer)
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Cirrhosis (scarring of the liver)
- Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver)
- Rickets, a weakening or softening of the bones in children
- Osteomalacia, a softening of the bones in adults usually due to significant vitamin D deficiency
- Paget’s disease of the bone, a condition causing serious concerns with bone destruction and regrowth
- ALP testing may also be helpful in investigating the presence of cancer tumours, unusual bone growth, or vitamin D deficiency.
How much does an Alkaline Phosphatase test cost?*
The cost may vary from city to city. However, the starting price of the test is between ₹70 and ₹200. From the below table, you can book the alkaline phosphatase test:
|City||Test Price Starting from|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Delhi||₹ 70.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Gurugram||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Noida||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Ghaziabad||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Faridabad||₹ 75.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Bengaluru||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Chennai||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Hyderabad||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Mumbai||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Vizag||₹ 124.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Chandigarh||₹ 150.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Mysore||₹ 170.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Jaipur||₹ 170.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Ahmedabad||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Kolkata||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Indore||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Pune||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Amritsar||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Coimbatore||₹ 178.0|
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
You can expect to get the results for the alkaline phosphatase test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal Alkaline Phosphatase test results indicate?
Abnormal results may be due to the following conditions:
Higher-than-normal ALP levels
- Biliary obstruction
- Bone disease
- Eating a fatty meal if you have blood type O or B
- Liver disease
- Healing fracture
- Bone tumors
- Paget disease
- Protein deficiency
Lower-levels of ALP levels leads to
- Wilson disease
Many other conditions for which ALP test should be done:
- Renal cell carcinoma
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia
- Biliary stricture
- Giant cell arteritis
Disclaimer: Please consult your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is Alkaline Phosphatase a definitive test?
ALP test results are usually regarded as accurate. There are potential sources of error in the processing and analysis of your blood sample, so laboratories must take care to follow best practices to ensure dependable results.
If your ALP level is high, your doctor may have you take another test, known as the ALP isoenzyme test. This test determines the level of alkaline phosphatase in blood and finds out whether it is coming from the liver or the bones.
How to read the Alkaline Phosphatase report?
Normal range for alkaline phosphatase (ALP) varies from laboratory to laboratory. One common reference range is from 44 to 147 international units per litre (IU/L), but some organizations recommend a range of 30 to 120 IU/L.
High levels of ALP are also seen in growing children and pregnant women and are considered normal.
Low levels of ALP are seen in patients with malnutrition and certain genetic disorders. ALP levels also decrease temporarily after heart surgery and blood transfusion.
Normal values may vary slightly from laboratory to laboratory. The normal range of values of ALP differs by age and pregnancy status. ALP values are higher in children because their bones are actively growing, while the ALP values increase during pregnancy in tandem with the development of the placenta and the approach of childbirth.
|By U/L||By μkat/L|
|Adults||33 to 96 U/L||0.55 to 1.6 μkat/L|
|Children||Under 350 U/L||Under 5.8 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (first trimester)||17 to 88 U/L||0.28 to 1.47 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (second trimester)||25 to 126 U/L||0.42 to 2.1 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (third trimester)||38 to 229 U/L||0.63 to 3.8 μkat/L|
Why book Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
- Health care providers will ask you for alkaline phosphatase (ALP) test for monitoring, screening, and diagnosing if you have any liver or biliary diseases or bone disorders.
- ALP test is usually a part of a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) and liver panel test. It is performed to keep track of your health to see if the health is getting better or getting worse.
- To detect any liver diseases such as jaundice, swelling, nausea and/or vomiting, unexplained weight loss, edema, abdominal pain, urine is dark color and changes in stool color to light.
- An ALP test can also help diagnose the cause of more general symptoms, such as fatigue.
Alkaline Phosphatase Test at home – how does it work?
The alkaline phosphatase test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
ALP tests are common and a very important part of routine testing and screening. There is not much of a risk of having this test. There might be a slight injury in the vicinity where the blood was drawn for the test. But it subsides faster.
What can affect the results for the ALP test?
Eating before the test may slightly increase your ALP levels for a few hours. Levels can change from person to person. In the case of pregnant women, the levels of ALP are usually higher than the normal range. Mostly in young children, the levels of ALP are higher because it is a growing phase. And sometimes due to intake of certain drugs, like contraceptive pills, it lowers your ALP levels and some drugs can increase the ALP levels.
Why book an alkaline phosphatase test?
- This test becomes essential when a patient reflects some cancer and liver cirrhosis symptoms. The specialist recommends this test to get the alkaline phosphatase level in the body.
- The bone weakness and increasing infection in the blood may require these test reports. The alkaline phosphatase test also clarifies the presence of any stone or cyst in the liver, gallbladder or bile duct. These elements have a high ratio for cancer and organ failure chances.
- They also result in blockages in the bile duct, which react adversely in the human body. Vitamin D deficiency and bone marrow infection are some cases for which the alkaline phosphatase test is necessary.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the alkaline phosphatase test measure?
- The alkaline phosphatase test measures the infection level in the bones, liver and blood. It also calculates the level of enzyme alkaline phosphatase in the body.
- This test becomes necessary when a person frequently reflects the jaundice symptoms like yellow appearance and constant fever. Any liver infection can resemble the chance of low levels of this enzyme. This test also examines the presence of any cyst, stones or clotting in the liver and adjacent organs. In most cases, this element usually blocks the bile ducts, which eventually causes organ failure. Most of the stones are also cancer-causing elements.
- The alkaline phosphatase test also measures vitamin D deficiency, which causes weakness in bones.
What Preparation is needed for the alkaline phosphatase test?
- No preparation is required for this test. The patient needs to inform the specialist about the current medication schedule and any severe medical history.
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Doctors use the Alkaline phosphatase enzyme as a biomarker to diagnose various diseases in your body. An abnormal test result may indicate the presence of underlying diseases in your bones, liver, gallbladder, heart or kidney.
- Low levels of Alkaline phosphatase enzyme in your blood may indicate
- Wilson's disease
- Protein deficiency
- Zinc and magnesium deficiency
A high level of alkaline phosphatase enzyme in your bloodstream can lead to-
- Bone disease
- Paget's disease (enlarged and deformed bones)
- Slow healing of bone fractures
- Osteoblastic bone tumours
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Myocardial infarction
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Liver diseases
- Blockage in the bile duct
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Mumbai?
Yes, on the MFine app, you can avail the doorsteps sample collection service. You have to provide your location, timings and date for the sample collection.
What is the cost of an alkaline phosphatase test in Mumbai?
The alkaline phosphatase test’s testing charges in Mumbai lie under INR 150 to 300. These charges may vary based on the testing centres’ facilities and machines. In requirement for urgent testing and report, these charges will increase.
I am staying in Delhi. Can I book an alkaline phosphatase test for my grandmother staying in Mumbai?
Booking the alkaline phosphatase test for other locations is now an easy procedure on the MFine app. You have to visit the portal and provide the location date and time for testing.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the alkaline phosphatase test?
On the MFine app, you can reschedule the appointment for the alkaline phosphatase test by proving the revised schedule and address on the website portal
Is the lab technician coming for alkaline phosphatase test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using a sanitiser and gloves during sample collection
When is an alkaline phosphatase test recommended?
The alkaline phosphatase test is recommended to diagnose the liver, pancreas, bones, and gall bladder infection. This infection affects the body with weakness in bones, poor function in the liver. Gallbladder infection can resemble this test which appears with frequent weight loss and poor digestive process. This test can examine the possibility of stones, cysts, and blockage in the liver, bile duct, and gallbladder.
Is a prescription required to book an alkaline phosphatase test?
Prescription is not required to book this test.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes, MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines based on the results.
Is the alkaline phosphatase test definitive?
The nature of this test is not definitive.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the alkaline phosphatase test?
The other test recommended by the specialist along with this test is the aspartate aminotransferase (ALT) test. This test measures the level of an enzyme with the ratio of healthy liver functioning. Specialists strongly analyze these test reports in some of the complex cases. Another test that is necessary with this test is the alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test which indicates the abnormalities in the liver. Conditions like stone and blockages strongly appear in this test.
What diseases can be detected through the alkaline phosphatase test?
Certain diseases like hepatitis, frequent jaundice, liver cirrhosis and cancer are detectable through this test. The alkaline phosphatase test also reflects diseases like osteomalacia, rickets and Paget’s. The appearance of blockages, stones and cysts are easily detectable through this test.
How can I download my alkaline phosphatase test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers on alkaline phosphatase tests in Mumbai?
Usually, you can avail yourself up to a 50% discount on the alkaline phosphatase test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.