Women's Health Last updated on 2022-02-04 23:10:59
PCOS Diet Plan
- Dr. Sreelekha Daruvuri
- 2 Min Read
- Fact Checked
Research has suggested that a poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle are the main contributors to PCOS. Women living in urban conditions are more at risk due to the consumption of foods with a lower nutritional value. PCOS, although not life-threatening or fatal, can increase the risk of chronic conditions such as:
- Fertility disorders
- Type II diabetes
- Endometrial cancer
- Fatty liver
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol
Best diet for PCOS
- Low carbohydrate diet: Carbs, made up of glucose broken down in the bloodstream, helps with energy release. With PCOS, however, the body is unable to use the glucose in an effective manner and can negatively impact the body by converting the glucose into fats. This is the cause behind the symptoms of weight gain with those diagnosed with PCOS. A diet high in carbs can worsen the symptoms of PCOS which can trigger complications. Switching to a low-carb diet will help with weight loss and insulin resistance, which will effectively relieve PCOS symptoms.
- Foods with low glycemic index: Glycemic index refers to the levels of blood glucose produced by the consumed food. Foods such as Sugar, carbohydrates, processed foods, starchy foods, carbonated drinks, white rice, pasta, and soda are high on the GI quotient. Foods such as whole grains, legumes, vegetables without starch, etc. have a lower glycemic index.
- Non-fat dairy products Low-grade inflammation is a common symptom that is experienced in women diagnosed with PCOS. Research suggests that lactose and whey in dairy products can worsen the symptoms of PCOS.
- Fruits and vegetables Fruits and veggies can have a high sugar content and so those that are high in fiber instead are included in the diet. Leafy vegetables and fruits packed with nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants help in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Whole grains Foods such as brown rice, millets such as ragi, jowar, and bajra are low on the glycemic index and are ideal for those diagnosed with PCOS. They further help in improving symptoms and weight loss contributing to preventing insulin resistance caused by weight gain. Read more on Foods to avoid in PCOS.
Sample Indian Vegetarian Diet Plan
Sample Indian Non-Vegetarian Diet PlanMedicine isn’t always the answer to all conditions, some can be managed effectively through lifestyle changes. With MFine’s 3-Month PCOS Care Plan, you are treated with holistic care by experts. A gynecologist will plan a treatment personalized for you along with monthly consultations and wellness, dietitian sessions weekly. Furthermore, symptoms such as those caused by hormonal imbalances are also addressed via an endocrinologist.
Consult a Gynecologist
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!