Tasty and nutritious baby food recipes for 9 month olds
Reading Time: 6 minutes Your 9-month-old is slowly growing a little bigger than before. How do you make the changes in his/her diet? Read on to know more about the best recipes for food that you can give your 9-month-old!
The first stages of parenting can be quite a challenge for any couple, especially when it comes to feeding their baby. Amidst a range of new experiences and sleepless nights, the time has flown past and your baby is now nine months old. At this stage, you have more options and choices in terms of 9 months baby food recipes. It is necessary to keep in mind that paediatricians recommend continuing breastfeeding for at least a year and not to stop it all of a sudden.
This is also the period when the baby has started enjoying soft and solid food. Your baby food recipes for 9-month-olds can include small pieces of fruits and vegetables. Like for an adult, it is important to serve your baby with a wide range of fruits and vegetables of varied colours and textures. While carbohydrates like bread and cereals form the basic foundation of a 9-month baby’s food list, the inclusion of protein in the form of chicken, fish and eggs is also important. The two forms of liquid intakes during this period should be milk and water. Try to form a schedule regarding the meal and snack times of the day with delicious nine month baby food and stick to it as best as you can.
Nine month baby food to avoid
While serving a variety of foods is important, your little will also require time to adjust themselves to the new flavours and textures. It is important for parents to have patience and allow your baby time to get accustomed to the whole range of recipes. Teething can also occur at this stage which can reduce your baby’s appetite due to mild discomfort. Make sure you provide your little one with sufficient nutrients needed for their growth through 9 months baby food recipes. In addition, there are a few items that your food menu for a 9-month-old baby should avoid:
- Fast food like chips, burgers, doughnuts, pastries, biscuits, sweets and chocolates are not suited for 9 months baby food. These items are high in salt, sugar and fat content and low on nutritional content.
- Fruit juices, soft drinks and flavoured varieties of water and milk should be avoided as they can lead to obesity, loss of appetite and tooth decay.
- Food and drinks containing caffeine should not be fed to the baby. These include coffee, tea and energy drinks.
- Avoid honey and cow’s milk in your 9-month baby’s food list until your little one hits the one-year mark. In the meantime, you can find other calcium-rich foods for babies to promote healthy bone development.
9 month old baby food recipes
Let us now take a look at some of the ideal 9 month old baby food recipes, which can be easily cooked at home.
- 100 grams of apple
- 100 grams of papaya
- One banana
- A cup of water
A puree made from fruits like apples, banana and pear is one of the easiest food recipes for 9 month old baby.
- Peel the apples and pears and boil them to make the soft.
- Add the bananas and mash the ingredients together to prepare the puree.
Various berries and dates are also the right kind of fruits to feed the baby. You can provide raw fruits like mangoes and papayas as finger foods for a 9-month-old at this stage by cutting them into small pieces. Make sure you only include properly cleaned seasonal fruits in your baby’s diet.
Also read our blog on Is Honey for Babies Bad? The Not-So-Sweet Truth.
Sweet potato risotto
- 100 grams of brown rice
- 100 grams of sweet potato
- 100 grams of tomatoes
- A cup of water
- One teaspoon butter or olive oil
This is one of the most healthy 9 month old baby food recipes that will provide the right combination of carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins.
- Boil some brown rice separately and chop the potatoes and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Add the chopped vegetables in a pan and boil them till soft.
- Add a small amount of butter or olive oil and cook the boiled items.
- Add the rice in the mixture and stir until the items are thoroughly mixed.
You can also add a small portion of grated cheese to add to the flavours. You can opt for oatmeal instead of rice in your 9-month baby’s food list.
Also read our blog on 7 Best High-Calorie Foods for Baby Weight Gain.
Fish and vegetable stew
- 100 grams of boneless fish
- 50 grams of potato
- 50 grams of tomato
- 100 grams of carrots
- A cup of water
- This dish brings the goodness of fish and vegetables together in a 9-month baby’s food list.
- Cut vegetables like potatoes, carrots and tomatoes into small pieces and wash them.
- Add de-boned and minced fish into boiling water and cook it thoroughly.
- Add the vegetables and heat under medium flame while stirring continuously until the ingredients become soft. You can also prepare this dish with chicken instead of fish.
- One whole egg
- A teaspoon of butter or olive oil.
- One chopped tomato
- A pinch of salt
Easy to prepare and packed with protein, scrambled eggs are an ideal finger food for a 9-month-old baby. Use butter or olive oil to cook the egg and you can add some vegetables like tomatoes and broccoli to make the dish more nourishing. Make sure that the egg is cooked thoroughly and no part is left soft. Apart from the scrambled version, boiled eggs are also an excellent choice of protein for your little son or daughter. If you are trying boiled eggs for the first time, start with the yolk and after the baby gets used to it, offer the white portion.
- 100 grams of semolina
- 3 chopped dates
- Two tablespoons of grounded nuts
- Two cups of water
This is a very good dish that is easily prepared and digested, making it one of the best options in the food menu for a 9-month-old baby.
- Fry the semolina in butter or olive oil and once it is brown, add water.
- Add grounded nuts along with chopped or pureed dates to bring in the sweet taste.
- Keep the mixture thin as it will thicken further as it cools down.
Also read our blog on The Most Common Foods That Cause Eczema in Babies and How to Treat It.
- 100 grams of pasta
- 100 grams of chopped carrots
- 100 grams of chopped cauliflower
- Two cups of water
- A pinch of salt
- One teaspoon of butter
Rice or wheat pasta are great options for babies since these carbs are very easy to digest.
- Cook the pasta sufficiently to make it soft.
- Chop up vegetables like carrots and cauliflowers and boil them.
- Pour some butter into a saucepan and add the pasta and the vegetables along with salt to taste.
- Stir until the mixture is well cooked and soft enough for your baby to chew.
Some tips to remember
These are some baby food recipes for 9-month-olds which provide the right balance of nutrients for the baby. But before you start, here are a few points worth noting down.
- Make sure that you offer food that is soft and steer clear from items like whole nuts, grapes, raisins and other items that can lead to choking.
- Try to eat along with your baby at this stage as much as possible. They will pick up a lot of things while watching you eat.
- Keep looking out for signs that will tell you that the baby does not want to eat anymore. Your baby’s appetite depends greatly on their environment and the amount of physical activity they have each day.
You can also read our blog on creating a baby food chart for 9-month-old babies for more recipes that your child will love!
For a parent, this is the right stage to build strong foundations for the baby’s diet so that she or he can practice healthy eating habits throughout the later stages of their life. Be sure to consult the city’s top paediatricians at mfine if you have any queries regarding your baby’s diet.