Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹349 ₹599
Plasma Cell Neoplasm
Plasma Cell Neoplasm: All we need to know
Plasma Cell Neoplasm is a disorder when the body makes too many plasma cells. These cells can be cancerous and sometimes non cancerous.
Plasma Cell Neoplasm is most common in elderly people i.e. people around 65 years of age and rare in people below 35 years of age. (1)
- Not self-treatable
- Not self-diagnosable
- Lab tests or imaging are required
Types of Plasma Cell Neoplasm
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS)
- Lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
The exact cause of Plasma Cell Neoplasm is not known. It is believed that changes in the genes of plasma cell may cause Plasma Cell Neoplasm.
Some other possible causes are:
- Age (middle-aged and older people)
- Sex (males are more likely to suffer from this disorder)
- Race (more common in African- American)
Symptoms usually depends upon the type of Plasma Cell Neoplasm the person is suffering from.
MGUS do not show any symptoms
Lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma can have many symptoms. Some of them are:
- Blurred vision and dizziness
- Headaches, tiredness, and weight loss
- Shortness of breath and hearing problems
Plasmacytoma leads to bone pain and fractures
Multiple myeloma may cause weak or broken bones, tiredness, and pain
Diagnosis: Some of the common tests used for diagnosis are:
- Biopsy: A sample of blood and bone marrow is taken for testing.
- Blood and urine tests to check for the level of proteins and presence of any other abnormal plasma cells; test conducted by a doctor.
- X-Ray, CT-Scan, MRI, and PET might be done to examine bone damage.
Medicines: In this condition, the most commonly used therapies are chemotherapy, radiation therapy, biological therapy, or immunotherapy. To keep the bones strong, the doctor may prescribe bisphosphonates.
Specialists: For further concerns, contact a doctor or a primary care provider. At mfine, you will receive a holistic treatment plan for optimum health.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App