Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹349 ₹599
Plasma Cell Myeloma
Plasma Cell Myeloma: All we need to knoW
It is the cancer of blood cells. A particular blood cell known as plasma multiplies unusually.
Also known as Kahlerâ€™s disease or multiple myeloma
There are less than 1 million cases in India each year. It mainly affects people above 40 years of age. (4)
- Not self-treatable
- Not self-diagnosable
- Lab tests or imaging are required
The most common causes are
- If a person is African-American
- If a person in family is already suffering from the same problem
- If a person has solitary plasmacytoma
Complications due to Plasma Cell Myeloma
This condition can lead to various problems and can damage:
- Immune system
- Red blood cell count
Initially Plasma Cell Myeloma may not cause any symptoms. But later people may experience symptoms such as:
- Bone pain
- Fatigue and weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Constipation or nausea
People may experience weight loss
Diagnosis: Some of the commonly used tests for diagnosis are:
- Blood tests to check for the level of calcium, protein levels and anaemia.
- Urine tests to check for the presence of any other abnormal cells in the body.
- Bone marrow biopsy helps to confirm the presence of plasma cells inside the bones and tissue.
- X-Ray, CT-Scan, MRI, and PET may also be suggested to check for any tumours present in the bones.
Self-care: Taking healthy diet, exercising regularly and taking proper rest helps to reduce the symptoms of Plasma Cell Myeloma.
Medicines: Some of the most recommended therapies used to kill the plasma cells are chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Medications prescribed by the doctor include Corticosteroids, Immunomodulatory drugs, Monoclonal antibodies, Proteasome inhibitors, HDAC inhibitors, and Bisphosphonates. Stem Cell Transplant might also be recommended by the doctor as per the need of the patient.
Specialists: For further concerns, contact a doctor, primary care provider or a pathologist. Refer or contact mfine for your better treatment and health.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App