Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹349 ₹599
Pancreatitis: Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas which is a gland located behind the stomach in the upper abdomen.
Amongst the causes, Gallstones account for about 35-60 % of the cases of Acute Pancreatitis.
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Requires lab tests or imaging
- Can be medically treated
- It is short-term and usually resolves within a few days to a few weeks
Pancreatic damage happens when the digestive enzymes become activated before they are released into the small intestine. This causes the enzymes to attack the pancreas, resulting in inflammation.
Acute Pancreatitis symptoms include:
- Upper abdominal pain that radiates to the back
- Aggravated pain in the abdomen after eating your meal
- Rapid Pulse
- Tenderness while touching the stomach
Self-care: Before initiating any treatment, fasting is recommended which reduces inflammation in the pancreas. Proper rest and dietary changes can reduce symptoms greatly. If the symptoms persist, one of the methods can be used:
Medication: Pain medication can help deal with the intense pain and Intravenous fluids may be administered to deal with the dehydration.
● Procedures to open or widen a blocked bile duct are carried out. A procedure called endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is generally used
● Gallbladder surgery may be carried to remove gallstones
● Pancreatic surgery is carried out to drain out fluid from the pancreas or remove the damaged tissues.
● Enzyme supplements are prescribed to help your body break down nutrients and aid in digestion.
Specialists: Most people diagnosed with acute pancreatitis recover swiftly after receiving the right treatment. Despite this, it is very important to address the underlying cause as it may severe complications. Feel free to contact our doctors at mfine for professional advice on all areas of healthcare and well-being.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App