Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Sternal Manubrial Pain
Sternal manubrium pain and causes
The sternum is a flat bone located in the center of the anterior thoracic wall. It consists of three segments: the manubrium (uppermost part), the body (middle part), and the xiphoid process (lowest part).
20â€“30% of annual hospital admissions are for pain in sternum. 
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Cardiopulmonary scan is required
- X-ray and blood tests requried
- Short-term: resolves within days to weeks
- Musculoskeletal diagnosis may be required
The sternum is part of the rib cage, a series of bones that protect the heart and lungs from injuries. Causes of sternum pain can be joint injury, collarbone (clavicle) injury, fractures, hernias, costochondritis, sternum fracture, acid reflux, and muscular strain or bruise.
- Pain or discomfort in the ribs
- Mild, aching in the upper chest
- Pain that worsens during deep breathing and coughing
- Stiffness in the shoulder joints
- Severe pain when raising the arms
- Difficulty breathing
- Frequent belching
- Doing stretching exercise might help.
- Avoid unnecessary exercise or activities that may make the symptoms worse. Avoid contact sports until there is improvement in the symptoms.
Medications: Doctors may prescribe pain relievers such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications.
Specialist: It is difficult to determine the cause of the pain so it is necessary to get the condition checked by a specialist who can analyse it properly. At mfine, we make sure to treat every disease properly that will give you a better body.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App