Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
What Is A Bone Marrow Biopsy?
It is the spongy tissue present inside the bones and its biopsy can show whether the bone marrow is healthy and making normal amounts of blood cells.The doctor extracts red marrow, usually from the back of the hip bone. The sample is used to check for any blood cell abnormalities.
The procedure is usually done by a hematologist or an oncologist. The bone marrow exam typically takes about 10 minutes.When Is Bone Marrow Biopsy Recommended?
The doctor may order a bone marrow biopsy in the following cases:
- Blood tests show too high or too low levels of platelets, or white or red blood cells- Anemia- Bone marrow diseases (myelofibrosis or myelodysplastic syndrome)
- Blood cell conditions (leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, or polycythemia)
- Cancers of the bone marrow or blood (leukemia or lymphomas)
- Hemochromatosis- Infection or fever of unknown originPreparing For A Bone Marrow Biopsy
- Discuss all ongoing medications, medical history (bleeding disorder), allergies, sensitivity to anesthesia with the doctor, including anxiety.
- Follow the doctorâ€™s instructions- Accompaniment required- If on sedatives, driving isnâ€™t recommendedUnderstanding Bone Marrow Biopsy ResultsThe aim of the biopsy is to evaluate the sample to determine if the bone marrow is making enough healthy blood cells and to look for abnormal cells.
The information helps the doctor:
- To confirm or rule out a diagnosis
- To determine how advanced disease is
- To evaluate whether treatment is workingDepending on the biopsy results, follow-up tests may be required.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App