Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Vaginitis And Vaginosis
Vaginitis And Vaginosis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
Vaginitis is a vaginal infection that leads to the inflammation of the vagina causing discharge, itching, odor, and pain.
Vaginosis commonly affects women in age group of 15- 44 years.  
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Affects only women
- Bacterial overgrowth in the vagina
- More common in women in their reproductive years.
- Short-term: resolves within days or weeks
- Mostly asymptomatic.
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Lab tests, imaging are often required.
Vaginitis is a common gynecologic condition that happens when there is a change in the balance of bacteria or yeast in the vagina. There are different types of Vaginitis, one of them being Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). It takes place when there is an imbalance between the good and the bad bacteria found in the vagina.
It can also be caused due to:
1. Reduced estrogen levels after menopause
2. Taking antibiotics
3. Using an intrauterine device (IUD)
4. Having unprotected sex
5. Having many sexual partners.
People may experience:
1. vaginal itching, irritation
2. painful urination
3. pain during intercourse
4. light vaginal bleeding or spotting
5. Change in amount, odor, and color of the discharge.
Self-care: Avoiding baths, hot tubs, irritant like pads, tampons, scented soaps, maintaining good hygiene, wearing cotton underwear is recommended.
Medications: oral antibiotics are helpful.
Specialists: Consult a gynecologist if the condition persists. At mfine, we provide a comprehensive treatment plan for optimum health.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App