Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Excessive Bleeding During Mestruation Period
Worried about heavy menstrual bleeding? Here’s all you need to know
Menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding is medically called Menorrhagia.
Heavy menstrual bleeding is common but experience blood loss severe enough to be defined as menorrhagia is very rare. 
- Treatable by medical professionals.
- Require a diagnosis by a medical professional.
- Lab tests or imaging are required in some cases.
- Generally fully curable
Hormonal imbalance, dysfunction of the ovaries, benign tumors of the uterus etc. and many other unknown factors can cause excessive blood loss during the menstruation period. Symptoms may including bleeding for several hours to longer than a week, passing blood clots larger than a quarter etc. 
People may experience:
- Soaking through many tampons for several hours
- Using double sanitary protection
- Bleeding for more than a week
- Passing blood clots larger than a quarter
- Not being able to do daily activities
- Fatigue or shortness of breath
- Vaginal blood soaking at least one pad or tampon an hour for more than two hours
- Bleeding between periods
- Any vaginal bleeding after menopause
A doctor should be consulted immediately if these symptoms start to appear. If severe symptoms start to appear, medical help should be availed right away.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can help reduce menstrual blood loss. NSAIDs can help with painful menstrual cramps too. To regulate your menstrual cycle oral contraceptives must be taken and it also reduces excessive or continued menstruation.
Oral progesterone can help correct hormone imbalance and reduce menorrhagia. Hormonal IUD makes the uterine lining thin and decreases menstrual blood flow and cramping.
Dilation and curettage (D&C) can be used to dilate the cervix and scrap tissues to reduce bleeding. Uterine artery embolization, Focused ultrasound surgery, Myomectomy, Endometrial ablation, endometrial resection, Hysterectomy may also be performed.
For other kinds, consult a physician or an Obstetrics or OB-GYN. At mfine, weâ€™re here to help you with different areas of health issues, come on board for a holistic treatment program.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App