Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Pemphigus Vulgaris An Autoimmune Disorder
Pemphigus Vulgaris is an autoimmune disorder which makes the immune system attack the healthy tissues of oneâ€™s body. This develops painful blisters on the skin and mucous membranes.
Before the introduction of steroid therapy, death rate with Pemphigus Vulgaris was about 95%. 
Pemphigus Vulgaris is:
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Imaging may be required
- Mostly occurs in middle-aged or older people
- Chronic and life-threatening without treatment
It is a potentially life-threatening disorder. The blisters may burst open leading to further infections and affecting normal lifestyle of people. But it is not contagious.
Pemphigus Vulgaris can affect people from any race or ethnic group but it is more in the following groups:
- People of Mediterranean descent
- Eastern European Jews
- People living in the rainforests of Brazil
The very common symptoms of Pemphigus Vulgaris are:
- Painful blisters starting from the mouth or skin areas
- Oozing, crusting, or peeling at the blister site
- Blisters do not itch
- Blisters start spreading to the genitals and other parts of the body
Self-care: Avoiding activities which may hurt the skin, minimizing sun exposure, consulting a dentist to maintain good oral health, avoiding certain food which may trigger the blisters and also protecting skin by gentle washing can help control the disorder to some extent.
Medication: Doctors may prescribe Corticosteroids and Immunosuppressive drugs, which will prevent the immune system from attacking the healthy tissues. Also, antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals can also be recommended to cure this skin disorder.
Specialists: For other severe kinds, do consult a dermatologist for further medical assistance. mfine provides information on a wide range of topics related to medical conditions. You can also come on board for holistic treatment.