Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Manage your Melanocytic Nevi effectively
Melanocytic Nevus is a disorder of pigment producing skin cells, usually causing moles and non-cancerous tumor.
About 1 in 100 babies are born with moles.
- Treatment can help, but cant be completely cured
- Usually Self diagnosable
- Lab tests or imaging not required
- Chronic: can last for years or lifetime
It is caused due by a disorder involving melanocytes, the cells that produce melanin. They can be rough, flat, or raised. Generally, they appear within two decades of a personâ€™s birth. In very rare cases, such moles can become cancerous.
- Mole or skin tags usually brown, pink, tan, or black colored
- Some moles produce dark, coarse hair
Their appearance may change over time, with some becoming raised, changing colour, or gradually fading away. Most of these are non-cancerous; however, in around 1% cases, malignant tumour had Melanocytic Nevi as a precursor.
The moles do not generally hamper your physical health and may not require any treatment. One can reduce their exposure to sunâ€™s UV rays, which can cause damage to the skin over time.
However, one of these methods can be used for treatment:
- Surgical: Either shave excision, electrodesiccation, or cryosurgery may be performed.
- Other treatments involve Laser Removal or Electrocautery.
Most of the discomfort caused by these removal procedures can be done away with pain medication. Scars and scabs heal usually in a period of few days to weeks.
Melanocytic Nevi may not be a cause to worry about. Feel free to consult our doctors at mfine to understand various procedures and treatments available for all your disorders, which will help you take the best decisions regarding future course of action.