Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Hemoptysis Treatment Process
Hemoptysis: What Measures Can Be Taken?
Hemoptysis refers to a condition where the patient coughs up blood and sputum. Blood ejection occurs from the lungs or tracheobronchial tree.
Hemoptysis occurs more commonly in younger (16-59 years of age) adults than in older (over 60 years of age) adults. 
· Hemoptysis is mostly self-limiting but a few cases can be life-threatening.
· The possible causes of Hemoptysis are Bronchitis, Tuberculosis, Lung cancer, Pneumonia, Autoimmune diseases, and Trauma (accident).
· The symptoms of Hemoptysis can be confusing, whether the blood is from the lower respiratory tract or not. However, common symptoms of Hemoptysis can be:
● Bloody/ frothy sputum
● Chest pain
● Rapid breathing (Tachypnea)
● Shortness of breath (Dyspnea)
· Diagnosis of Hemoptysis is done by carrying out medical history and physical examination.
· Chest X-ray, CT scan and Bronchoscopy is also performed as part of diagnostic tests.
· Visit a doctor immediately if bleeding or any other symptom like chest pain worsens over time
· Hemoptysis is treated as per the causes and symptoms. Treatment aims at relieving and stop bleeding.
There are not many options of self care available when the hemoptysis is discovered. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regular checkups are advised.
● Bronchial Artery Embolization
● Antibiotics (for lung diseases like Pneumonia and TB)
● Chemotherapy (for Lung cancer)
Specialists: mfine focuses on providing the best healthcare facilities to the patients by catering to their needs and understanding their medical conditions. Contact us to know more.