Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Chronic Thyroiditis: Everything To Know
A condition when your immune system attacks the thyroid gland.
It is seven times more likely to occur in women than men, especially women who have been pregnant.(1)
- Usually treated by a medical professional.
- Requires hormone tests, antibody tests, and other laboratory tests for diagnosis.
- Can happen to both men and women.
Chronic thyroiditis, also is known as Hashimotoâ€™s disease, is an autoimmune disorder. Although the cause is not known, the risk may be high if the family has a history of the disease called Grave's disease, type 1 diabetes, lupus, vitiligo, Addisonâ€™s disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. Initially, inflammation of the thyroid causes a leak resulting in excess thyroid hormones (hyperthyroidism). Over time, the inflammation prevents the thyroid from producing enough hormones (hypothyroidism).
Age Affected: between 0-5- rare; above 6- often
- Fatigue and unexplained weight gain.
- Constipation, depression, and feeling sluggish.
- Lower body muscle weakness and thinning hair.
- Irregular periods and problems with fertility.
- Hoarse voice and high cholesterol.
Self-care: Your doctor might ask you to eat large soy products or a high fiber diet.
Medications: Your doctor might prescribe you with synthetic hormone medicines to regulate the activity of the organs.
Specialists: You can connect with an endocrinologist at mfine, who would help you get rid of this disease with a holistic treatment program.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App