Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
CF Cystic Fibrosis
CF Cystic Fibrosis: Symptoms And Treatment
An inherited disorder that causes severe damage to the lungs, digestive system, and other organs.
Approximately 1,000 people are diagnosed with cystic fibrosis every year in the United States. 
- Requires a medical diagnosis.
- Lab tests or image tests always required.
- Happens only in children.
Cystic fibrosis is a serious genetic condition that affects cells that produce sweat, mucus, and digestive enzymes. Thick sticky mucus is build up in the organs. Instead of acting as a lubricant, the fluids clog the ducts, tubes, and passageways in the body. Lungs, pancreas, liver, and intestines are commonly affected organs.
Ages Affected: Can be seen in newborns.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Burning sensation in the chest.
- Cough with blood or phlegm.
- Diarrhea, fat in the stool, severe constipation, or bulky stools
- Pulmonary hypertension, shortness of breath, sinusitis, or wheezing
- Delayed development, delayed puberty, or slow growth
- Fatigue or inability to exercise
- Acute bronchitis, deformity of nails, infection, male infertility, nasal polyps, pneumonia, salty sweat, or weight loss
Self-Care: This condition can be treated by opting for postural drainage and taking care of fluid intakes and nutrition.
Medication: The doctor may prescribe the patient with antibiotics, dietary supplements, a penicillin antibiotic, and cough medicine.
Specialists: At mfine, you can connect with a doctor for better understanding and treatment of this health issue.