Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
What are the Causes & Treatment for Autoimmune Thyroiditis?
A common organ-specific autoimmune disorder which leads to severe inflammation of the thyroid gland.
Hashimotoâ€™s disease (a type of autoimmune thyroiditis) is 8 times more common in women than men. 
- Can cause different forms of thyroiditis ranging from hypothyroidism (Hashimotoâ€™s disease) to hyperthyroidism (Graveâ€™s disease).
- Can be chronic, silent, transient, hyperthyroidism, subacute and acute.
- Laboratory testing is required.
- Antibody screening can also be used.
Thyroiditis is the result of attack of the thyroid gland by the antibodies of our own body. Itâ€™s actual cause is not properly identified by the doctors. But there can be some genetic or environmental factors, viral infection etc. responsible for autoimmune thyroiditis.
Less than 5 years - Rare
Ages 6 to 29 - Common
Ages 30 to 50 - Most common
Above 50 years - Often
Self-diagnosable: In case of severe burning of thyroid gland and enlargement, the person should consult a physician.
- Weight gain
People may experience :
- Pain areas Neck
- Swelling Around the neck area in the thyroid gland region
- Skin and hair issues Loss of hair, dryness of skin
- Weakness of muscles
- Stiffness of joints
Self-care Avoid excessive consumption of iodine and quit smoking. Try to be stress-free.
Medications To get relief from the inflammation, drugs can be taken according to doctor's prescription.
Specialists For other kinds, consult a physician or endocrinologist. Get on board with mfine to get access to specialized and experienced doctors
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App