Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Amoebic infection/Amoebiasis is an inflammation of the intestines caused by Entamoeba histolytica. The parasite usually enters the body through contaminated food or water.
10% of the world's population is infected with amoebas
Gastrointestinal amebiasis can be fatal in children under 5 in developing nations. 
- Is prevalent in places with poor sanitation and contaminated water and food
- Spreads by contact with infected people or items handled by them
- Indicates that parasite travels in feces of infected people
Gastrointestinal amoebiasis is the most common. However, it can be dangerously neurological,
vaginal, intraperitoneal, intrathoracic or intrapericardial, or present as brain abscess.
It affects all age groups. Children are much at risk.
In 90% of cases, the infecting strain of amoeba does not cause any symptoms.
- Mild pain and gurgling sounds in the lower abdomen, along loose stools
- Dysentery, high fever, nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain and 10 or more episodes of diarrhea daily
- Watery diarrhea with/without blood and mucus
Patient history and travel history are asked. For diagnosis, stool and blood tests, proctosigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, ultrasound or CT scan of the liver, and needle aspiration may be carried out.
- Drink only boiled water.
- Eat only well-cooked foods.
- Keep hands clean always.
Nitroimidazole and luminal drugs based on diagnosis type.
A gastroenterologist is the doctor to be consulted. You will find highly qualified specialists on mfine to help with your situation.