Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹349 ₹599
Elevated Liver Enzymes
Elevated Liver Enzymes: Know the Facts
Elevated Liver Enzymes refers to the inflammation of the liver cells, often signalling a mild and temporary rise in the levels of liver enzymes.
It is estimated that around 1-9% of people who earlier didnâ€™t show any symptoms were found to have high liver enzyme levels. 
- The liver, one of the most important internal organs, produces proteins, enzymes, and substances responsible for blood clotting. The enzymes produced in the liver are ALT, AST, CGT, and ALP.
- Some liver enzyme tests or blood tests are required to confirm the levels of liver enzymes.
Elevated Liver Enzymes often result due to prolonged
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Hepatitis (A, B, C)
- Fatty Liver Disease
- Alcohol Consumption
- Some OTC pain and cardiovascular medications
Although Elevated Liver Enzymes have no symptoms of their own, the doctor can look for common symptoms, which include:
- Pain/swelling in abdomen and legs
- Loss of appetite
- Discolored bodily discharges (dark urine)
- Shortness of breath
- Fatigue and weakness
- Jaundice (Yellowing of skin and eyes)
Upon ordering for liver function tests like ALT and AST tests, doctors look for patients who are obese, have a family history of liver disease and diabetes, or consume drugs/ alcohol.
- Maintain weight under control
- Stop alcohol consumption
- Keep an eye on cholesterol levels
- Incorporate a diet with liver-friendly foods, rich in fiber, antioxidants, and green leafy vegetables.
- Over the counter and prescribed medicines
Specialists: At mfine, we give proper treatment to our patients, understanding their concerns and conditions, just like they would want us to. Call us to know more
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App