Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Prurigo Nodularis: All You Wanted to Know
Nodular reaction on the skin resulting from constant itching of a particular area is also called Pickerâ€™s Nodules.
New nodules can be seen making an appearance regularly and the existing nodules can worsen to leave scars. 
- Commonly affected sites include extensor surfaces of limbs, abdomen, upper and lower back, and neck.
- Nodules or lesions range from a few diameters to some centimeters in size.
- The repetitive trauma leads to the occurrence of papules or nodules which are often dome-shaped, symmetric, hyper-pigmented and crusted in nature.
- PN commonly affects middle-aged women ranging from 20-60 years.
An intense skin condition, characterized by sores and nodular lesions with the excoriated skin surface, where the individual cannot fight the urge to scratch the affected area.
Prurigo Nodularis can be viewed as the result of repeated scratching. While the exact cause of PN is unknown, it can still be associated with some triggering factors, such as skin conditions like atopic dermatitis, eczema, medical conditions like the reduced function of liver and kidneys, anemia, and hyperthyroidism.
- Nodular, crusty and hyper-pigmented sores
- Dry and scaly skin surfaces
- Constant urge to scratch, sometimes up to the point of bleeding
Prurigo is a very severe skin disease which can be treated only by a skin specialist.
- Steroids as part of the initial treatment
- Antihistamine creams like Pramoxine and pills like Atarax and Periactin
- Cryotherapy for severe cases
Specialist: At mfine, we ensure understanding the underlying cause of your health conditions and assist you with proper and safe treatment options available by our experts.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App