What is jaundice?
Yellow discoloration of the skin, occurring because of too much bilirubin in the blood is called jaundice. Bilirubin can build up in the blood due to obstruction, hemolysis, or liver diseases; prevalent in newborns.
Jaundice is the yellowish complexion of the skin and the whites of eyes that can occur when the body cannot process bilirubin properly. This can be because of a problem in the liver. Jaundice doesn’t get cured by itself, but can be cured medically. Infants are mostly affected by jaundice.
The following are the characteristics of jaundice:
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Requires a diagnosis by a medical professional
- Lab tests or imaging are required
- Treatment can be done in various ways
Jaundice needs to be diagnosed by a medical professional
People may experience:
- A tinge of yellow on the skin and the whites of the eyes, pale stools, dark urine and itchiness.
- Fatigue, vomiting, fever, abdominal pain and weight loss
- A stomach doctor should be consulted immediately if these symptoms start to appear. If severe symptoms begin to appear, medical help should be availed right away.
Babies tend to get jaundice within the first few weeks of life owing to numerous reasons including weak liver functions. It’s important to head to a pediatrician and a stomach specialist immediately. Here are the typical symptoms of jaundice among newborns:
- Less feeding
- Lots of cry in a high-pitched tone
- Muscle tone changes
Jaundice tests to take :
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- CT scans
- Liver biopsy
Treatment of jaundice
In the case of acute viral hepatitis, the disease symptoms diminish on its own as the liver starts to heal. Otherwise, a stomach doctor can treat it.
Medications for jaundice
Antiviral or steroid drugs can be used to prevent hepatitis-induced Jaundice. If jaundice is caused by the use of a drug, treatment generally involves changing to an alternative medicine.
Surgery for jaundice
Surgically removing the obstruction can treat obstruction-induced jaundice.
At mfine, we treat our patients with proper care and understanding. You can get in touch with renowned general physicians or a gastroenterology doctor at mfine who can offer the best treatment. Connect with an expert stomach specialist near you and get top quality treatment.