Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To
First Consultation starting
@ ₹249 ₹499
Diaper Dermatitis: How To Cure It
Diaper dermatitis is a common problem found in babies and toddlers. It is an inflammation of the skin in the diaper area.
Diaper rashes can be more common among kids of age 9 to 12 months as they are mostly sitting, which can affect the acidity levels in their bodies; resulting in a diaper rash. 
- It can be easily diagnosed at home
- It usually happens to infants and toddlers less than 2 years of age.
- It can be treated at home when found at an early stage.
Diaper rash occurs when the skin is not cleaned properly and the urine or feces remain in the diaper irritating the skin for a prolonged time.
Symptoms depend upon the different causes of diaper dermatitis:
- Contact diaper dermatitis- The skin looks red and shiny when it comes in contact with urine and feces. The areas generally affected are the buttocks, abdomen, thighs, and waist. The skin creases and folds may be unaffected.
- Candida diaper dermatitis- There are dark patches formed outside the diaper area. The skin usually turns deep red. This is generally accompanied by a yeast infection in the mouth of the baby. Skin creases and folds may not be affected.
- Seborrheic diaper dermatitis- The skin, including the creases and folds, are covered with yellow and oily patches. The affected areas spread up to the neck, face, and scalp.
Self Care: You need to do the following as primary treatment.
- Let the child be without the diaper whenever possible
- Keep the diaper area dry and clean
- Frequently change the diaper
- Change the diaper as soon as it is soiled with urine or feces
Medication: Doctors generally suggest the following.
- Antifungal cream for candida infection
- Corticosteroid cream for severe dermatitis
- Antibiotic medicine for bacterial infection
For a healthier you - today and tomorrow - we at mfine are just a call away. We will support you for any of your health requirements.
Top Hospitals on mfine
Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App