Diet & Nutrition Last updated on 2022-04-11 16:24:44
7 Healthy Foods That Are High in Vitamin D
- Dt. Parvathy Menon
- 4 Min Read
- Fact Checked
(1) Sardines: This is one of the most nutrient-dense seafood which provides a lot of protein, essential vitamins, minerals and anti-inflammatory omega-3s. Sardines can be bought fresh and are an easy way to consume to meet both protein and Vitamin D requirements.
(2) Egg Yolk: Vitamin D is found in the yolk of egg. Individuals who do not eat fish must know that seafood is not the only source of Vitamin D. Most of the protein in an egg is found in the egg white, whereas the fat, vitamins and minerals are present in the yolk. Eggs contain all essential amino acids and are a rich source of choline and healthy fats. Individuals must consider free-range or pastured eggs as they contain 4 to 6 times more Vitamin D. An egg yolk contains 3.25mcg of Vitamin D.
(3) Salmon: this is a popular fatty fish and also a great Vitamin D source. Salmon is rich in protein, omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin D. Salmon can be consumed grilled, pan-seared or in the form of curry.
(4) Mushrooms: Mushrooms must be incorporated into the diet due to their rich vitamin D content and must be taken at least four times a week. This is one of the healthiest sources of vitamin D. Individuals can consume it in any form, but it is claimed that to get the best benefits, one must sundry them before consumption as it naturally produces Vitamin D. Mushrooms are a rich source of B vitamins too (B1, B3, Folate, B5), phosphorus, selenium, copper and potassium.
(5) Soy-milk: This is plant-based milk that is produced by soaking, drying, and grinding soybeans in water. Soy-milk contains the same amount of protein as cow milk but it is high in Vitamin D along with Vitamin C and iron. Often it is observed that some individuals are not fond of soy milk. In such cases, they can switch to other products easily available in the market such as tofu and soy chunks. They are a great source of Vitamin D too and is included in the list of best Vitamin D rich foods.
(6) Cereals: This is a good breakfast choice with essential nutrients that includes Vitamin D. Cereals or oatmeal contains 40-100 IU of Vitamin D per 100 grams. Fortified oatmeal adds a dose of Vitamin D to the diet. Cereals are a solid base for nutrient-rich, high fibre meals. You can also add fortified milk for an extra 60 IU of Vit D per half-cup.
(7) Cod Liver Oil: This is one of the top sources of Vitamin D . Along with Vitamin D, it also contains Vitamin A and anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids. Individuals who cannot stand the taste of cod liver oil can take it in the form of capsules.Vitamin D is a critical vitamin that many individuals lack. To prevent the deficiency of Vitamin D it is important to include these Vitamin D rich sources into our daily diet. Tossing mushrooms into your omelette, or adding grilled salmon for any of your meals would help you in improving your daily dietary intake of Vitamin D. Another way to get the daily required dose of Vitamin D is by spending time out in sun. Vitamin Deficiency panel must be availed by one who feels that they are deficient which can lead to severe health consequences. People must get themselves checked for vitamin tests as vitamins are essential for immunity too. MFine offers Vitamin Profile, in which 2 tests that determine the vitamin levels are included. An individual who shows symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, joint or muscle pain, shortness of breath and weight loss must avail Vitamin profile test. This health package not only determines the vitamin level but also includes free consultation with top doctors and allows you to choose the best MFine lab partner where you want to get tested. Consult a Dietician: Experts for Food Management & Nutrition Now!
Check out these videos
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!