Dry Cough- Things You Need To Know
Coughing is the spontaneous clearing of the throat to remove mucus or irritants such as dust or smoke. Coughing is of two types:
- Productive cough which throws up phlegm or mucus out from the lungs
- Non-productive cough which does not produce phlegm. This dry cough can affect oneâ€™s day-to-day life seriously. It is especially troublesome at night.
Persistent dry cough can cause some very serious problems in women such as the urinary incontinence. 
- A chest X-ray is needed for confirmation.
- Lung function tests and allergy tests may also be advised by doctors.
- Can occur at any age irrespective of the gender
Infection is not the only reason for its occurrence. All types of dry cough are not contagious.
Dry cough is triggered by different conditions and its symptoms vary with these conditions. Dr cough can occur when a person has asthma, gastroesophageal reflux, post-nasal drip and viral infection. In each of these conditions, dry cough is accompanied by several other symptoms as given below :
- Gastreoesophageal reflux disease
- Post-nasal drip
- Viral infection
- Small amount of blood observed while coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Harshness in voice
- Uncertain reason for weight loss
- Sucking on lozenges
- Use of honey in hot drinks
- Use of over the counter cough suppressants like dextromethorphan (Robitussin)
- Glucocorticoids- asthma, allergies
- Bronchodilator/inhaler- asthma
- Acid blockers- for acid reflux
Specialists: For further queries on dry cough, please call us at mfine. Our team will be pleased to assist you and help you receive the best treatment.