Diet & Nutrition Last updated on 2021-02-26 20:38:15
Is Desi Ghee Harmful Or Beneficial For Health?
- Dt. Parvathy Menon
- 2 Min Read
Desi ghee is a staple in Indian cuisine and a popular favourite in this country. It has long been regarded as a traditional remedy for cold and cough, and a dietary solution to achieve soft and youthful skin. But is Desi ghee healthy? What about the saturated fats present in it? Desi ghee is a much healthier alternative to commercially available refined oil. Ask any expert nutritionist and they are sure to praise ghee as the “fat that makes you thin”, the saturated fats present in ghee are short-chain fatty acids which not only help in metabolism but also help in burning away those stubborn pockets of fats. Ghee is certainly a boon for good health and we have collected below a list of health benefits offered by ghee. If you are looking for reasons to include ghee in your diet, then look no further-
- Boosts digestion- Desi ghee aids in digestion, helps with constipation and helps in the elimination of toxins from the body. Adding a teaspoon of ghee (5 gm) to your meals is a great way to detox.
- Helps with weight loss- As mentioned above, ghee contains short-chain fatty acids that help in breaking down fats in the body and thus promotes weight loss. Adding a little ghee to your meal will keep you full for a longer period of time, thus preventing you from munching on unhealthy snacks later on.
- High smoke point- Ghee, due to its high smoke point does not burn and smoke easily. Compared to oils which break down at high temperatures releasing free radicals, ghee doesn’t break down easily and thus is perfect for long sauteing, which is a core part of Indian cooking.
- Maintains hormonal balance- Desi ghee is rich in vitamin A, D, E and K2 which are important in proper production of hormones in the body.
- Strengthens bones and boosts immunity- Ghee is a strong antimicrobial and antiviral agent. As a rich source of soluble vitamins, ghee also helps in the growth and strengthening of bones.
- Good for heart health- The vitamin K2 found in ghee prevents calcium from depositing in the arteries. It also lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and boosts HDL (good cholesterol).
Consult a Dietitian
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!