Last modified on March 2021
With inputs from Dr.Sabha Faryal, General Physician & Emergency Medicine Specialist
– Mastalgia is also referred to as breast pain and most commonly occurs in younger women before or during their menstrual cycle.
– Mastalgia can be cyclic (menstrual cycle-related) or non cyclic (exclusive from the menstrual cycle) in Indians.
Stinging pain, tightness in breast, heaviness of breast, sore breasts before period and during period, pain inside of breast due to radiating sternum pain or other external pain are a few symptoms of mastalgia in Indian women.
– Mastalgia causes in India include changes in breast structure, hormonal factors, breast size, fatty acid imbalance and more. If you think you may be showing signs of mastalgia, reach out to gynaecologists on MFine who will be able to give you a proper diagnosis of your condition in India.
– Mastalgia is evaluated by a breast screening examination and other imaging tests such as mammograms and ultrasounds. A biopsy may be done only if a lump or an unusual thickening of the breast is suspected, a possible sign of breast cancer.
– Mastalgia treatments in India involve clinical measures to relieve breast pain such as using NSAIDs, regulating or altering dosage for birth control pills, and reconsidering the use of hormone therapies for postmenopausal women. Some Indian home remedies like hot/cold compresses, relaxation therapies and diet alterations have helped in reducing breast pain in many women. Consult a gynaecologist on MFine for a treatment plan that is best suited to your breast pain symptoms.