Last modified on December 2020
With inputs from Dr. Mamta P, General Physician
– Lip lickers dermatitis is the eczema around mouth and lips
– It occurs due to repeated lip licking habits or due to extreme dry cold weather conditions. It could also be caused by dehydration or by chemicals used in lip products.
– It is also called a perioral dermatitis and is an irritant contact dermatitis.
– Symptoms include red, scaly, dry skin around the lips and mouth that burns, itches, peels or bleeds..
– It could also indicate a serious medical condition such as autoimmune diseases or thyroid problems.
– Stress and anxiety contributes to nervous lip licking which could also lead to lip dermatitis.
– Can be treated by taking basic self care like staying hydrated and applying lip balms and natural remedies.
– Lip lickers dermatitis is rarely chronic and subsides in two to three weeks.